Trouble shoot: Pump trips breaker ONLY the first time it runs each day ( Omnilogic )

Sep 17, 2007
Simi Valley, CA
Hello,

I am having a strange problem and I am hoping I can get some advice.

pool is only 4 years okd. Pool equipment is running through Hayward OmniLogic and the pumps have their own 20amp breakers, one for each.

Every morning the pool pump kicks on, I can hear the relay click. The filter pump doesn't start, there is a hum, and then the breaker trips (I can watch the breaker trip each morning). In Omnilogic, the program still shows the pump running but then the flowsensor error appears because in reality the pump never started. I can turn the pump off in the software, walk over to the breaker and reset it, then start the pump again in Omnilogic and it works flawlessly, until it has to start again the next morning. What could cause this? ( no water is leaking back into the pool when the pump is off)

Here is what I tried:
  • Switching the 20amp breaker for a known working one - no change in condition.
  • Checking all the wires in the Omnilogic service box.

Thoughts:
  • I don't think it can be a bad relay since it will immediately start up after I reset the breaker.
  • I don't think it can be a bad pump since the pump runs correctly the second time I try to start it via Omnilogic, after resetting the breaker

I am stumped and would love some insight.

Thank you,
CF

attachment.php

Attachments

• poolissues.jpg
    poolissues.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 65
Maybe the capacitor or a sticking shaft.

If the shaft turns freely, try replacing the capacitor.

What pump do you have?

Yes, what type of pumps do you have? That would be a great addition to your signature.

What this sounds like is problem w the controller and something is causing the start up from the controller to short-out the connections to the pump.

When did this start happening? Do you have surge protectors in your house or pool panel, esp if you have a VSP.

Since you do not list where you live, what has the weather been like? If L-Vegas NV or San Diego, then no lightening, but the Midwest, S & SW is a different

Maybe the capacitor or a sticking shaft.

If the shaft turns freely, try replacing the capacitor.

What pump do you have?

Yes, what type of pumps do you have? That would be a great addition to your signature.

What this sounds like is problem w the controller and something is causing the start up from the controller to short-out the connections to the pump.

When did this start happening? Do you have surge protectors in your house or pool panel, esp if you have a VSP.

Since you do not list where you live, what has the weather been like? If L-Vegas NV or San Diego, then no lightening, but the Midwest, S & SW is a different

I live in SoCal so the weather has been nice. The issue started about 2weeks ago. Here is my VSP information:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20181215_092721.jpg
    20181215_092721.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 51
As of August 2006 a common date code format for all motors is being used. It consists of seven alpha-numeric characters. The first three characters represent the day of the year based on the Julian calendar, the next two the year, and the last two the plant code. For example, 123064M, would mean the 123rd day of 2006 (May 3, 2006) in Regal’s Juarez IGMEX4 plant.
Users and distributors may visit our website centuryelectricmotor.com to access our ‘date code converter,” as well as applicable warranty forms.

https://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/WarrantyServices.aspx

Motor serial number 03114J2 was made January 31 2014.

The pump also has a serial number to indicate when it was made.

Starting May 1, 2010 and Forward

The first two numbers (21) are common to all ID tags.

The 3rd - 4th number is the plant
of manufacture.
10 = Canada. 11 = Pomona, CA.
12 = Clemmons, NC.
13 = Nashville, TN

The 5th -6th number will be the year & the 7th - 8th is the month.

The pump was probably made within a few months after the motor and installed within about 8 months typically.

So, I would suspect that the pump was probably installed mid to late 2014 or early 2015.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that it's probably just a bad capacitor. It's an easy fix. Capacitors are generally considered "consumable" and not a warranty item.

The pump is out of warranty. The issue is not an issue specific to Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.