SLAMMING for a week, passing OCLT but still cloudy, can i let FC drop while filter wo

Hi Everybody,

I've been SLAMing my indoor endless pool for a week. It's a bromine pool so I'm doing a slightly modified SLAM, but I'm pretty sure I don't have high DMH levels so should be pretty straight forward. The first 24 hours the pool was eating chlorine but then it slowed and by the end of the second day it really hadn't consumed any more. My BR level has been very steady (at about 22ppm or 10ppm FC and I don't use any CYA since it's indoor and bromine) for several days but the water is still cloudy and slightly green. I think it's getting better, but it's progressing very slowly. I believe it's mainly going slower than many people's SLAM's because they have more powerful pumps normally only run a handful of hours a day and then cranked up to 24 hrs a day during a SLAM. I have a low flow circ pump that always runs 24 hrs a day, which I can't turn up or run longer (only 24 hrs in a day unfortunately), and it's paired with a 50 sq ft cartridge which I'm guessing is probably on the small side for a 3,000 gallon pool, since my 426 gallon hot tub uses 100 sq ft of cartridge filter for a small fraction of the amount of water.

I believe that it's working, the algae (or whatever caused my cloudiness and used ups sanitizer) is dead (since im no longer using up sanitizer) and I just need to be patient and let the filter clear up all of the dead particles cloudying up my pool. That being said, at this rate it could take 2-3 weeks (or more) to finish this process and I'd prefer to let my sanitizer levels drop back to normal range mainly for the sake of my pool equipment, cover (which im leaving off as much as possible but being an indoor pool i have humidity levels that need to be kept in check too), and vinyl liner.

I understand that the SLAM instructions say to maintain shock level until all 3 conditions are satisfied (really 2 for me since I'm not really paying attention to cc since it's a bromine pool - please let me know if you think that's a mistake), but since I have not using up hardly any chlorine for close to a week and my cloudiness is clearing so slowly, do you think it would be okay to let my BR level drop back to normal while the filter continues to clear up the cloudiness?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Swimmy

IMO you are fine to let the FC go lower, but be very vigilant about testing so you know immediately if you have excess chlorine use. Maybe a little above normal to give yourself some cushion until you see how it behaves.

Thank you JohnT! Really appreciate your thoughts. I'm definitely going to continue constantly monitoring my sanitizer levels (and brushing and cleaning the filter cartridge) until this thing is totally cleared up, just didn't like the idea of it sitting there with such high levels for weeks. Being an indoor pool the sanitizer levels barely change if it's not being used so I'm actually going to throw a little hydrogen peroxide in there to bring it back down to a level just above normal and then will watch it closely to make sure there's no unusual losses while I'm waiting for the water to clear up.

Thanks again for your support!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.