Air lock in new filter

Some skimmers in hot tubs have a cartridge in the skimmer that is the filter for the hot tub.

Even though you have an external filter, the tub might have originally come with a cartridge in the skimmer.

Check for a cartridge and see if the skimmer is running dry while on high speed.

There are several types of weir. There's a sliding weir that goes up and down. There's a hinged weir that rotates up or down on a hinge. And there's a floating weir that is circular.

Any type of weir can stick and block the flow of water into the skimmer.

Try turning off the blower and run just the pump on high to see if the problem is the same.

When you changed the filter, did you also change anything on the pump or it's location?

no , I kept the same configuration in regards to the pump and filter placement

- - - Updated - - -

Some skimmers in hot tubs have a cartridge in the skimmer that is the filter for the hot tub.

Even though you have an external filter, the tub might have originally come with a cartridge in the skimmer.

Check for a cartridge and see if the skimmer is running dry while on high speed.

There are several types of weir. There's a sliding weir that goes up and down. There's a hinged weir that rotates up or down on a hinge. And there's a floating weir that is circular.

Try turning off the blower and run just the pump on high to see if the problem is the same.

Thank you, this is great advice. I will shut off the blower in hopes this will narrow down if it is in fact the problem or not.

So, I turned the blower off and have no air going into the system at high speed. Next I turned bubbles on and immediately got huge air into the system. Next, I checked the strainer to see how much air could be getting in through the strainer... didn't seem like much so I got into the water and felt the suction hole at the bottom of the tub... its taking huge air from bubbler right near it. Should I cap that suction or block off the air bubblers at the foot? My first thought would be to cap that suction and see if I get enough suction just from the strainer... Thank you very much for helping me figure this out. I was afraid I was going to have to buy new Harmsco filters which are big $$$$.

You have to be careful closing off suction ports.

In some cases, the remaining port might not provide enough flow or it might create a safety risk if someone could get stuck on the suction.

If you closed the one air return, where would the air come out?

Aaron,

Do you have a valve that allows you to select either the Skimmer or the Main Drain???

If not, it might be worth adding a Jandy valve that allows you to control the amount of water coming from the main drain (if any at all)..

Sounds to me like you have identified the issue, just have to figure out how to eliminate it.

If this were my spa, I'd want to try to see how well it works without the air at the bottom and how well it works without the main drain working, and see which one worked the best.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You have to be careful closing off suction ports.

In some cases, the remaining port might not provide enough flow or it might create a safety risk if someone could get stuck on the suction.

If you closed the one air return, where would the air come out?

There are a series of holes at the bottom of the tub. I could plug them up with epoxy and the tub would still get bubbles around the seat area...

Aaron,

Do you have a valve that allows you to select either the Skimmer or the Main Drain???

If not, it might be worth adding a Jandy valve that allows you to control the amount of water coming from the main drain (if any at all)..

Sounds to me like you have identified the issue, just have to figure out how to eliminate it.

If this were my spa, I'd want to try to see how well it works without the air at the bottom and how well it works without the main drain working, and see which one worked the best.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Very true... I could attempt to install a shutoff valve on the air line going to the foot area and cap the suction input to see which works best.

If the hot tub was made to work with a pump and blower, then the problem should not be happening.

So, something is probably not working properly.

Check to make sure that the skimmer is not clogged.

Can you show a picture of the tub and one looking into the skimmer?

The skimmer should be getting most of the flow. If it's clogged, then you would have too much flow through the bottom suction.

Also, the bottom suction should have a safety grate over the port.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the hot tub was made to work with a pump and blower, then the problem should not be happening.

So, something is probably not working properly.

Check to make sure that the skimmer is not clogged.

Can you show a picture of the tub and one looking into the skimmer?

The skimmer should be getting most of the flow. If it's clogged, then you would have too much flow through the bottom suction.

Also, the bottom suction should have a safety grate over the port.

The strainer was just replaced brand new so I am confident that there are no issues with clogs there. As soon as I capped off the foot suction the problem went away. There is no safety grate at the bottom suction but I am pretty sure bubbles would still be able to get through even with this safety grate on. There are air bubblers right underneath this bottom suction so as soon as the jets turn on high speed and the blower kicks on, it immediately sucks the air bubble stream right into the pump and filter... I've decided to seal off all of the air bubblers at the feet to eliminate as much air from being able to enter as possible. I cant cap that drain suction off as I found it creates too much suction at the strainer.

The strainer was just replaced brand new so I am confident that there are no issues with clogs there. As soon as I capped off the foot suction the problem went away. There is no safety grate at the bottom suction but I am pretty sure bubbles would still be able to get through even with this safety grate on. There are air bubblers right underneath this bottom suction so as soon as the jets turn on high speed and the blower kicks on, it immediately sucks the air bubble stream right into the pump and filter... I've decided to seal off all of the air bubblers at the feet to eliminate as much air from being able to enter as possible. I cant cap that drain suction off as I found it creates too much suction at the strainer.

So word to the wise... dont plug up air holes. it made the other air holes too powerful causing the water to get pushed up almost over the edge of the tub lol... have to lower the output of the air coming in or put holes back in at the feet...

Maybe the blower is too strong?

In any case, if the tub was designed for a blower, the problem should not be happening.

Maybe you're getting too much suction from the bottom port?

The bottom port should have a safety grate over the hole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.