<maintenance Supervisor, dog resort

Dec 12, 2018
Chester, VA
Good Morning all, I am a maintenance supervisor for a dog park and resort and we have a 5000 gallon bone shaped pool for the dogs. We have anywhere from 5 to 50 dogs in the pool every day, 7 days a week. The retrievers go out as a groups and we can have 10 to 15 playing in the pool.
I am looking for anyone who has this kind of pool, with tons of dogs. I have had trouble with keeping chlorine up, it's always low!, and ph low. Now that winter is here and our water is about 40 to 48 degrees they are stabilizing easier but looking at spring when temps rise again.
Any advice would be appreciated, I'm just learning about pools!

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

My first question will be, what are you using to test the FC?

Secondly, a little more information about the pool would be helpful - Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Sorry, new to this forum. I have a Taylor K2006 test kit, 5000 gallon pool from 6" to 4 1/2 feet deep, plaster/concrete?, in ground, 600lb sand filter. Don't know pump yet, no SWG and no water restrictions. I am in central Virginia and current air temp is 40degrees

Michael, Tim appears to be offline at the moment, so I'll reply. The K-2006 is a good kit and one we recommend using. Now that you describe having the proper test kit and an FC that is falling, now is the time to post a full set of test results for us as follows:
FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

Whenever chlorine (FC) drops too low for some unknown reason, we generally become concerned about excessive organics in the water (algae). For that we follow what's called a SLAM Process process. With all those furry friends however, more contaminants may be added to the water than as is typical for a people-only pond. :swim: We'll know more with your test results. You might read-up on the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test in case you have to do that this evening.

Oh, and how do you typically chlorinate the water? What product do you use?

You say that the ph is always low, which implies trichlor use but the cya is low so that doesn't make sense unless you recently drained and refilled.

What chlorine do you use?

What are the chemistry readings for the fill water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.