New Pool - High TA

drewhiggs

Silver Supporter
Jul 9, 2017
Georgetown, TX
I'm on day 2 of a new pool and just read the startup card that Kim provided.

http://www.nptpool.com/sites/nptpool.com/files/NPC_SwimmingPoolStart-UpProcedures.pdf

The startup card says I should get my TA at 80 ppm, but PH is not high enough to get it down that low all at once. It appears I'll be able to get the TA down over time by adding muratic acid, but it will be a process of watching the PH and bringing it down little by little.

Should I shoot for a PH of 7.0 or 7.2, with new plaster, to bring TA down?

Current Pool test
Chlorine = .5 ppm
CC = 2
TC = 2.5
Ch = 300 ppm
Ta = 170
PH = 7.2

Fill Water
Chlorine = .5
CC = 4.5
TC = 5
CH = 350 ppm
TA = 250
PH = 7.2

No, don't worry about your TA.... your pH will be rising any day now. And repeatedly. That's what new plaster does and you'll be dosing it with muriatic acid to lower the pH which by nature will also lower your TA over time.

Maddie :flower:

As Yippie said, don't worry about your TA right now. Key is managing your PH rise.

You are new to this. Shoot to lower your PH to 7.4 when it gets to 8. You may overshoot low when adjusting your PH. You don't want to go below 7. So shooting for 7.4 and if you get a bit lower than that it is not a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.