SP3400VSP tripping breaker, can I test the VS drive, might go with 2-speed motor...

Dec 10, 2018
Keller, TX
Need some advice. I have been lurking on these forums for years and decided to reach out for some advice.

My 4 1/2 year old Hayward SP3400VSP is tripping the breaker. I spent Saturday morning in the rain disconnecting it so I could have it tested. I took it to a local independent shop, they connected power to it and instantly shut the lights off on the back half of their building, LOL, it tripped their breaker as well. All the guy could tell me was it is dead with a short, genius.

1. My first question is can I somehow test my variable speed drive and determine if it is good or not? The short has to be in either the variable speed drive or the motor. If it is variable speed drive (electronics) is good then I'm thinking I only need to replace the motor.

2. If there is no good way to troubleshoot the variable speed drive then I'm looking at replacing my entire pump. I have realized that I only ever run my pump at full speed (3,450 RPM) for a few hours to clean with the Polaris and then the rest of the time at half speed (1,725 RPM) to generate chlorine and filter at the more economical speed. I have the Hayward Pro Logic system for automation and from what I have read it is also compatible with a 2-speed pump. I'm really thinking of going with a 2-speed pump since that is really all I ever use is full or half. Would you guys consider this a good move or will I be missing out on something here?

3. Is there a 2-speed pump that is the defacto pump to get? Should be looking at 2 hp pumps or 2 1/2 to replace the SP3400VSP. My pool is 17,000 gallons, I do have a boost pump for my Polaris. Please keep in mind that I wan't to make sure it is compatible with my Hayward Pro Logic system. You just can't beat turning on the hot tub on from a restaurant. I'm thinking the Hayward and Pentair 2 hp pumps are probably equivalent in performance, about the same price as well. Is there a cheaper but still reliable 2-speed pump that I should consider?

4. If I decided to not tackle this myself does anyone have a recommendation for an independent installer in the North Texas area? I'm in Keller, TX.

Best Regards,

Brad.

I just had a guy on the phone just tell me that he highly advises against 2-speed pumps and said that in his experience they are extremely unreliable. He recommended either a single speed or a variable speed. I am personally only considering either a 2-speed or variable speed for the energy cost savings. Is it generally a known thing that 2-speed pumps are not that reliable? I was surprised to hear that.

A contact for a reputable independent installer in DFW would be great as well.

Thanks,

Brad.

Brad,

How long have you owned the pump and what has been done to it since you've owned it? What is likely your problem is a fault controller that is flipping your breaker. this pump is pretty notorious for bad controllers

Next, if you want to use your prologic, you are going to have to stick w Hayward pumps..

finally, can you complete your signature like at the bottom of my post so the forum members can better understand what it is you have so we can better answer your questions.

Brad,

I say your "phone guy" was more than full of it, if he believes that two speed pumps are any less reliable than single speed pumps. It is just not so.

Although, VS pumps are generally very reliable, you can't get around the fact that they are full of electronics, so just by part count alone, they are less reliable than a single or 2-speed pump.

Given the choice of having to balance out the benefits of being able to adjust my pump to the exact speed I want, when I want vs. reliability... I'll go VS every time.

I will never have another single speed pump again. If the only choice was single speed or 2-speed, 2-speed would get my vote 100% of the time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had a very experienced pool company owner say a 2 speed was more reliable, but the capacitors on some burnt out more often-not sure why. I never looked into them much and having a VS I’ll never go back with the $ savings and how quiet they are. My neighbors are happier with less noise, in fact we used to not run the pump at night because of the vibration (pad behind master), and now we can run VS at night at low speeds and save $ when the evening electric rates are lower.

I’m always worried the electronics in my Hayward VS will go hay-wire so I cover the controller part-& motor side with a plastic outdoor furniture table for some extra rain and sun protection-works great and maybe your next (or repaired ;) VS you can remove the controller to be indoor or wall-mount with some simple RJ phone wire.

For me the sealed nature of the VS pumps is a mystery. Having grown on replacing motors, impellers, bearings, capacitors...on single speeds, I don’t see why you can’t venture into ordering a replacement controller and do some digging to see if there’s maybe a stuck impeller? Does sound like a short...trying to think of where that might be? Nothing about them seems straightforward-so please share what direction you’ll take.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.