Recommended Pliar Size for Pool Use

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Sort of a basic question but can someone recommend a good size of waterpump pliars for pool union fittings? My Lowes didn't carry anything large enough when i closed last Fall. The pool guy i hired had a pair large enough, but i am going to DIY opening this spring.

Ah the old Channel-Locks. Channellock makes a 16 inch pair which has a jaw capacity of 4-1/2 inches, which should handle it. They call them tounge-and-groove pliers, and the 16 inch is a model 460. I'm surprised that you didn't find them at Lowes - their item number is 97470.
If that's not big enough, they have a 20-1/4 inch model (5-1/2 jaw capacity) which is a model 480. I don't think that Lowes carries that one, so you may need to find a tool dealer or online source if you need to go that big.

I use a set (2) of strap wrenches I bought from Sears for a little over ten bucks IIRC. Every place that sells tools should have one, it's just a rubber strap thing attached on one end to a plastic handle, strap goes around the union, and slipped back into the plastic handle. As you attempt to turn, the strap sort of "self-tightens" to grip and then loosen the union. As a bonus, they don't tear up the plastic union either like a Channel-Lock pliers can do - if you're all thumbs like I am sometimes.

I remember my dad had what he called a "monkey wrench" flat jaws, not like the grooved jaws of a pipe wrench (which are intended to grip on a galvanized pipe or fitting). I have never been able to find one, though, the closest was a monster crescent wrench but not really what I wanted. Finally broke down and got the channel-lok.
--paulr

Like these?
couplamonkeys.jpg

Yes, we had both of those. As I recall, dad called the top one a monkey wrench, the bottom one a Ford wrench--saying it was the only tool required to do any necessary maintenance on your, hmm, Model T or maybe Model A, memory has faded.

So, given the condition, I should be cruising yard sales instead of hardware stores?
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.