Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended Pliar Size for Pool Use

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended Pliar Size for Pool Use

Sort of a basic question but can someone recommend a good size of waterpump pliars for pool union fittings? My Lowes didn't carry anything large enough when i closed last Fall. The pool guy i hired had a pair large enough, but i am going to DIY opening this spring.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended Pliar Size for Pool Use

Ah the old Channel-Locks. Channellock makes a 16 inch pair which has a jaw capacity of 4-1/2 inches, which should handle it. They call them tounge-and-groove pliers, and the 16 inch is a model 460. I'm surprised that you didn't find them at Lowes - their item number is 97470.
    If that's not big enough, they have a 20-1/4 inch model (5-1/2 jaw capacity) which is a model 480. I don't think that Lowes carries that one, so you may need to find a tool dealer or online source if you need to go that big.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a set (2) of strap wrenches I bought from Sears for a little over ten bucks IIRC. Every place that sells tools should have one, it's just a rubber strap thing attached on one end to a plastic handle, strap goes around the union, and slipped back into the plastic handle. As you attempt to turn, the strap sort of "self-tightens" to grip and then loosen the union. As a bonus, they don't tear up the plastic union either like a Channel-Lock pliers can do - if you're all thumbs like I am sometimes.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Channel Lock's Oil Filter wrench works well also. Very large jaws, thin enough to tighten a Hayward threaded flush union to a Super Pump, and it fits in a 15" tool box.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I remember my dad had what he called a "monkey wrench" flat jaws, not like the grooved jaws of a pipe wrench (which are intended to grip on a galvanized pipe or fitting). I have never been able to find one, though, the closest was a monster crescent wrench but not really what I wanted. Finally broke down and got the channel-lok.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Like these?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, we had both of those. As I recall, dad called the top one a monkey wrench, the bottom one a Ford wrench--saying it was the only tool required to do any necessary maintenance on your, hmm, Model T or maybe Model A, memory has faded.

So, given the condition, I should be cruising yard sales instead of hardware stores?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page