pool safety cover and gas lines questions

Nov 2, 2018
Franklin, MA
Hi - do most people buy the safety cover for the pool from the PB or from home depot? PB is quoting $2500 for 18x36 pool and yet looks like I can get one from home depot for <$1000? Is it one of those things that is better to get directly from PB? Hate to nickel and dimes things like this but all the little stuff is starting to add up.

Also - someone mentioned that it costs more to run gas line furhter from the house. we are trying to decide where to place the pool - was originally thinking the pool would run perpendicular to the house and the pumps etc would be far from teh house near deep end. But if it will cost significantlly more to run the gas lines out then we could consider relocating pool parallel (but would give up some yard space that way). How big a difference is 10ft when talking gas lines?

Thanks!

Cecilia

What size and shape will be your pool? How does the PB and Home Depot cover anchor? Do you want a cover that is strong enough for critters and children to stand on without falling in? What is the brand cover your PB will sell you?

The major custom pool cover vendors are Meyco Pool Covers - Everyone Trusts the Original and Safety Pool Covers | Inground Pool Liners | LOOP-LOC

Compare what your PB is offering with the HD products.

Your PB or gas company should be able to tell you the difference between the two locations for running the gas line. They are usually priced per ft but you never know the way your contractors will price it.

I have a Meyco cover.

IMG_0482(1) (Medium).jpg

I want to say my gas line was $25/foot. So the extra 10 feet isn't much unless you are right at the limit for the volume you need and they would need to go up to the next sized gas hose or heavy up your gas meter.

Thanks for the info.

On the pool cover - our pool is being built next July so we may not get our stone work done around the pool done until the following year (have heard you need to wait some time for settling?). so the first year we will have to use just the mesh cover teh PB provides. makes me a little nervous given that the permanent fence also wont be installed until the next year (we'll just have the safety orange fencing up until the permanent one is installed).

and on the gas line - also struggling with the best place to put all the pumps etc. are they loud? Would we want them far from where most of the seating area is?

Modern variable speed pumps running at low speed are very quiet. If the get noisy it means they have a bearing problem.

Don’t know what type of geology you are building your pool on and never heard of needing to wait a year for settling before the stone work. I think you need a landscaper with the right equipment to prepare and compact the land.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.