Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Dichlor for initial SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Dichlor for initial SLAM

I'm trying to get my greenish pool clean after neglecting it for a bit. Had a test done that showed my FC and CYA are almost zero and high pH.

FC 0.08
    CC 0.28
    pH 8.1
    TA 98
    CYA 4
    CH 288
    Salt 3904

So need to raise FC (to shock level) & CYA, and lower pH. I was thinking of using Dichlor i already have to do this.
    Using Pool Math, adding 1700g of Dichlor will raise FC by 24, raise CYA by 21, lower pH by 0.9, and raise Salt by 19.
    Is this a good idea as a starting point? I realise i will later have to balance it including raising CYA to 30 (with acid) and maintaining FC shock levels (with bleach).
    Also, should i be concerned about my high salt level?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Dichlor for initial SLAM

Wally, first off, whose doing your pool testing? Got a kit of your own for accuracy?? Those results look kinda questionable to me.

There is Australia ClearChoiceLabs have the testing kit you want to perform your own tests.

Dichlor works a bit slow for a SLAM... you need a big one-two punch to stun algae. Sure it will raise your CYA but I would suggest liquid chlorine or plain household unscented, un-thickened bleach instead.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that Maddie. It was pool shop test results. What makes you question them?
    Will have to invest in a kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by _Wally_ View Post
    Salt 3904

Also, should i be concerned about my high salt level?
    Which chlorinator are you using?

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for that Maddie. It was pool shop test results. What makes you question them?
    Will have to invest in a kit.
    Because most (all?) drop based tests which are the most accurate don't come up with such....uh...precise numbers as "CH 288" or "CYA 4" etc. Along with that we have found (at least in the US?) that pool stores tend to be sloppy with testing. Perhaps in hopes of making a chemical sale or just something....

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_C View Post
    Which chlorinator are you using?
    No chlorinator, just use bleach.
    I note that i dumped a fair bit of bleach (~10L) couple days ago to start slam, could this be causing these results?

7. Back To Top    #7

No chlorinator, just use bleach.
    Ok. That's quite a bit of salt for a freshwater pool. No matter, it won't affect anything.

I have a teeny 19,000L pool and I'd need some 78kg of salt to get to that level, so no 10l of bleach isn't going to put that much salt in.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd give pretty good odds your salt is not nearly that high.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

9. Back To Top    #9

First, to SLAM, you will be testing every 2 - 3 hours and adjusting the FC back to SLAM level, so you need your own kit

As others have said, I wouldn’t trust those numbers.

Folks down under have these folks available for test kits Total Pool Water Testing Kit, Fresh Water Clear Choice Labs

Good luck
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

I have the ClearChoiceLabs kit. Recommended.