Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which security camera to choose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which security camera to choose?

Hi all,

We recently finished our pool and added a freestanding spa. My wife and I are looking for suggestions on a security camera. If we are outside in the hot tub, we want to see/hear if something is wrong with our kids asleep upstairs. They are 8&9, but would get freaked out if they wake up and cant find us in the house. My wife is avoiding the hot tub at night after kids go to bed for this reason.

I was thinking about an indoor Nest cam or similar with two way audio- my question is , if they want to initiate contact, they couldnt do that. Anyone have any suggestions on how we can keep tabs on the kids while in the hot tub?

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766
    18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin M400 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which security camera to choose?

Basically an intercom with two way audio/video would work for what you want to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

For just audio, an Alexa echo dot would work, for video too you could do the Alexa monitor, sorry dont know the name. With the Alexa app, your cell can talk to Alexa devices.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cmooty View Post
    For just audio, an Alexa echo dot would work, for video too you could do the Alexa monitor, sorry don’t know the name. With the Alexa app, your cell can talk to Alexa devices.
    Echo Show or even better yet, the echo spot + the Amazon Cloud Cam would work very well for this purpose I belive.
    20,500G PebbleTec Play/Lap Pool & Spa (Salt/Borate/Soft H2O). Pentair IntelliCenter Automation, IntelliFlo VSF, IntelliChlor IC-60, IntellipH, 6 IntelliValves, Triton II TR-100C Sand Filter (1/2 Zeobest) w/Glycerin Filled PG, MiniMax 100 Spa Heater, Jandy MAX HP Spa Jet Pump, J&J Color Splash XG 120v LED, Hayward AquaNaut 400 In-wall Suction Cleaner, SP Auto-fill Leveler, TF-100/K1766/pH Meter/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Arlo is great. Nest has a subscription fee, Arlo cams are wireless and Arlo Pro has 2 way talk. For an inexpensive intercom, why not the GRMS radios. Cheap and kids love them anyways.

Kevin has a: 11000 gal. IG Gunite Caribbean Blue mini-pebble, 7x5 pool shelf, Free-form 32x14x6 pool +1000 gal. IG Spillover Spa. Chlorine. Built: 1987, Reno: 2017 . Features: Hayward Tristar SP3200VSP pump, Raypak 266k NG Elec heater, Pentair C&C+ cartridge filter, 1Hp Starite spa pump, Venturi Jets, In Floor Cleaner: A&A valve w/ Turboclean refit w/A&A QC1 heads, Auto-fill leveler, Bulbwizard LED lights.

6. Back To Top    #6

Cheap harbor freight gate alarm on the stairs. When you hear the scream, you'll have time to put your clothes back on.

- - - Updated - - -

You could always link up a gopro to your phone.

7. Back To Top    #7

$25.98 for a Wyze camera from Amazon. 2 way audio, motion alerts, night vision, live streams to yiur phone and 1080p. Cheap and they get good reviews.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about utilizing the echo dot to drop in. I didnt think earlier they could call my cell from the dot.

Im not opposed to cameras , I just dont know how the kids initiate contact unless we set up a motion alert during certain time sets off my cell phone and they could talk to us. FRS walkie talkies are easy. I was thinking about the old school Nu-tone intercoms form the 70s lol,

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766
    18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin M400 robot