Which security camera to choose?

todd.brock

Silver Supporter
Jan 18, 2018
Cincinnati/OH
Hi all,

We recently finished our pool and added a freestanding spa. My wife and I are looking for suggestions on a security camera. If we are outside in the hot tub, we want to see/hear if something is wrong with our kids asleep upstairs. They are 8&9, but would get freaked out if they wake up and can’t find us in the house. My wife is avoiding the hot tub at night after kids go to bed for this reason.

I was thinking about an indoor Nest cam or similar with two way audio- my question is , if they want to initiate contact, they couldn’t do that. Anyone have any suggestions on how we can keep tabs on the kids while in the hot tub?

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

For just audio, an Alexa echo dot would work, for video too you could do the Alexa monitor, sorry don’t know the name. With the Alexa app, your cell can talk to Alexa devices.

Echo Show or even better yet, the echo spot + the Amazon Cloud Cam would work very well for this purpose I belive.

Arlo is great. Nest has a subscription fee, Arlo cams are wireless and Arlo Pro has 2 way talk. For an inexpensive intercom, why not the GRMS radios. Cheap and kids love them anyways.

Cheap harbor freight gate alarm on the stairs. When you hear the scream, you'll have time to put your clothes back on. :p

- - - Updated - - -

You could always link up a gopro to your phone.

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about utilizing the echo dot to drop in. I didn’t think earlier they could call my cell from the dot.

I’m not opposed to cameras , I just don’t know how the kids initiate contact unless we set up a motion alert during certain time sets off my cell phone and they could talk to us. FRS walkie talkies are easy. I was thinking about the old school Nu-tone intercoms form the 70’s lol,

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Update- I ordered the Wyze camera. For the money- it cant be beat. It has all kinds of motion sensing options, you can set a time for motion sensing, the pic is pretty darn good for a 2” cube. The night vision is good enough for what we need it to do. The 2way audio is a bit tin can-ish, but it works for our purpose. I set this up just to test the motion on the front door, but the pic isn’t bad.

bec0569c16c1b36f4efffdd21a835d58.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.