Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Taylor test results - drain pool or ignore it until the summer?

1. Back To Top    #1

First Taylor test results - drain pool or ignore it until the summer?

Hey folks,

With the weather finally turning "cold" here in Los Angeles, I finally let my pool guy go and am learning how to take care of my pool myself. I want to keep it covered for the winter, but I've read that in LA I should still maintain the water chemistry so I don't open up to an algae pond in the spring.

So I got my TAYLOR K-2006 test kit last week and spent some time doing all the tests yesterday. Here are my results:

Date: Dec 1
    Pool temp: 60 degrees
    pH: 8.0
    Free Chlorine: 16 ppm
    Combined Chlorine: 0.5 ppm
    Total alkalinity: 70 ppm Ca CO3
    CYA: > 100 (120?)
    Calcium hardness: 680 ppm.

I'm new to this, but the pH and CYA jump out as pretty off, right? I'm not sure what my previous pool guy was doing. It has rained quite a bit recently, so maybe this did something too.

Should I just cover this sucker up for the next 6 months, or drain it and practice fine tuning it all over the winter?

Thanks for the thoughts,
    Dan
    Last edited by mknauss; 12-02-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Removed Link
    16.5k gallon, In ground plaster pool.
    DE filter- Pentair 2000 series Model 2048
    Hayward Maxflo 1HP pump, Model K48A82A04

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Taylor test results - drain pool or ignore it until the summer?

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect your CYA is far higher than 100. How have you been chlorinating? Do Step 8 in Pool School - CYA

You should be maintaining your water chemistry year around in Los Angeles.

Test your fill water CH and TA. You are most likely due for a water exchange.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

hi, dont worry about the ph as it reads false high when fc is above 10
    perform a diluted cya test to get a better idea of your true level
    Extended Test Kit Directions
    ps i hope you bought the k2006c as the regular k2006 runs out very quick
    in usa you will probably find the tf100 to be better value
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

I live up in Sacramento I maintain my pool year around no matter how cold the water gets. After I found TFP I started maintaining my pool myself I always relied on the pool stores for advice and supplies. When I got my TF100 test kit the pool was just out of whack on every level very frustrating. out of coincidence I was selling something on Craig’s list a fella came over Retired water engineer long story short best advice ever “sometimes it’s best to start fresh” drained two thirds of the water followed TFP pool looks better than ever before cost a whole loot less $60 a month in height of the hot season. I think if you do a search of water cost in your area you will be surprised in my area it was under $2 per 1000 gal. 5 years ago.

I give you some other advice looking at your pool equipment I would consider changing out your pump to an IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump It a real money saver in your pool cost.
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow thanks everyone for the great advice!

I think I will end up draining the pool partway and mostly starting over. I'm going to a well rated pool supply shop and will peruse their chemicals this coming weekend.

I'm taking over for the pool guy and so I'm not sure what type of chlorine he was using.

I also have to figure out how to clean the pool. There are about 200 dead worms in there from the recent rain. I'll start a new post another part of the forum to ask about that, though. Once the pool is clean and balanced I'll definitely look into upgrading my equipment. It all looks 20 years old.

Thanks everyone!

Dan
    16.5k gallon, In ground plaster pool.
    DE filter- Pentair 2000 series Model 2048
    Hayward Maxflo 1HP pump, Model K48A82A04

6. Back To Top    #6

No reason to go to any pool store. All the products TFPC uses are available at Walmart and/or Home Depot.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

7. Back To Top    #7

Check this out --> Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanThePoolMan View Post
    I'm going to a well rated pool supply shop and will peruse their chemicals this coming weekend.
    Worst thing you can do no matter how well rated the pool store is.

Read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Trouble Free Pool School

You need liquid chlorine in the purest and strongest form you can find and Muriatic acid. Plus get a good testing kit like the TF-100 Test Kit ™
    -Allen
    IG 20x50 35,000 gal Cayman Lagoon Hydrazoo plaster w/ spa & waterfall, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU Nat Gas Heater, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Polaris 380 cleaner, Meyco solid winter cover, TF100 Test Kit, Built in 2000 & replastered in 2017