Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this blue?

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: is this blue?

Yes. I would skip the salt and use liquid chlorine until your water warms up. The SWCG does not produce chlorine when water temp is below 55F or so.

Do you have a proper salinity test kit? If not, only use enough salt to get to 2800 ppm or so. Then see if the SWCG is happy. If not, add more salt. But again, I would wait until the water warms.

Have muriatic acid on hand as you will want to work your TA down by lowering the pH to 7.2 or so when it hits 7.8. It will rise pretty rapidly until your TA drops.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

2. Back To Top    #22

Again, are you not suppose to fill up to 25ml for this test? That will skew the results.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

3. Back To Top    #23

Quote Originally Posted by jgofnj View Post
    Again, are you not suppose to fill up to 25ml for this test? That will skew the results.
    For those of us with high CH levels, we use a 10 ml sample of water and multiply our results by 25.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

4. Back To Top    #24

OH. OK, got it now. Thanks for the clarification.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by jgofnj View Post
    Shouldn't that be filled to 25 ml? That could be the problem.
    Hmmm. the instructions in TF100 said to fill to 10ml for CH???
    18,000 gallon, in-ground plaster, spa with 3 spillovers, salt water chlorine generation, all Jandy (Zodiac) equipment, solar water heat, paper filters, TF-100 test kit, in sunny southern California

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansol View Post
    Hmmm. the instructions in TF100 said to fill to 10ml for CH???
    That is correct. Multiply each drop by 25.
    Marty

7. Back To Top    #27

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Yes. I would skip the salt and use liquid chlorine until your water warms up. The SWCG does not produce chlorine when water temp is below 55F or so.

Do you have a proper salinity test kit? If not, only use enough salt to get to 2800 ppm or so. Then see if the SWCG is happy. If not, add more salt. But again, I would wait until the water warms.

Have muriatic acid on hand as you will want to work your TA down by lowering the pH to 7.2 or so when it hits 7.8. It will rise pretty rapidly until your TA drops.
    I don't think my water temp ever gets below 60F, so I think I'll go with salt.

Thank you again!
    18,000 gallon, in-ground plaster, spa with 3 spillovers, salt water chlorine generation, all Jandy (Zodiac) equipment, solar water heat, paper filters, TF-100 test kit, in sunny southern California

8. Back To Top    #28

Here is what the overall colour change should look like when you hit the spot....

~36K Litres | FG 8 x 4.4m | Astral Viron P320XT 1.5HP VS Pump | Astral Equilibrium 45 SWG | CA400 Sand Filter | Dolphin M500 | Solar Heating | Clear Choice Labs Test Kit | Pool Build Thread
    POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #29

Thank you! I retested today and got these results:

pH 8.2
    FC 3.5
    CH (42 drops) 1025
    TA 110
    CYA 25
    CSI .88

I will be draining tomorrow. Pool math says about 60% should be replaced.

On Thursday it POURED rain. We got almost 4 inches in 2.5 hours. I had to drain some of the pool to keep it from overflowing. I wasn't sure how the storm (and draining 4-6 inches) would affect the test results.
    thanks to all who replied!

10. Back To Top    #30

Be careful since it recently rained. If the ground water is still high, you could float the pool.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #31

Fortunately we are on the top of a hill, so i dont think that will be a problem!

Turns out something came up anyway so I'll have to wait until next weekend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12