Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this blue?

1. Back To Top    #1

is this blue?

Ran my first TF100 test today. I've always suspected that my CH is high. The image shows my CH test with 32 drops of R-0012. Is that blue? It wouldn't get any bluer and would put my CH at 800.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18,000 gallon, in-ground plaster, spa with 3 spillovers, salt water chlorine generation, all Jandy (Zodiac) equipment, solar water heat, paper filters, TF-100 test kit, in sunny southern California

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is this blue?

No. The end result is more blue than violet.

It is nearly impossible to do a CH test at high levels without the Speedstir.

I suspect your CH is north of 1000 ppm.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

Ooooh. Yeah, what Marty said. Good 'ol hard water. I made the color mistake for a while early on. It looks more of a baby-blue color once complete. Give it a few more drops.

I love my speedstir.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like its past time to drain and refill. Do you agree?
    18,000 gallon, in-ground plaster, spa with 3 spillovers, salt water chlorine generation, all Jandy (Zodiac) equipment, solar water heat, paper filters, TF-100 test kit, in sunny southern California

5. Back To Top    #5

Most likely. Do you have scale build up at the waterline?
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, and my cell needs cleaning monthly. We have pretty hard water

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to monitor CSI. I have never had to clean my SWCG.

Fill water here is 250 ppm CH and 130 ppm TA. My CH hits 800 ppm in just under 16 months.
    Marty

8. Back To Top    #8

My CSI is 1.09.

Fill water:
    CH 250ppm
    TA 110 ppm

I haven't changed the water in 4 or 5 years, seems like a fresh start is in order

9. Back To Top    #9

You may want to consider getting the waterline tile cleaned before draining. Look for a service using Kieserite blasting.
    Marty

10. Back To Top    #10

OK. Is there any time of year better or worse to drain and fill?

11. Back To Top    #11

Some depends on your water supplier. Do you get charged sewer fees based on water use? Check into that. Otherwise, now is a great time.

How old is the plaster? Be aware when you drain a pool with old plaster there is always a chance of plaster de-lamination in spots.
    Marty

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi Oceansol, Although I’m north from your location in south Orange County, when I drained and refilled my pool in July, I called the water company to give them a heads up. In this way, if there were any restrictions, the phone rep could/would have told me. There wasn’t any restrictions.

Another thing, when you fill, check your water meter when you start and when complete. You’ll have a pretty accurate way of your determining your pool water volume. Good luck. The TFP way is the only way to go.
    14k gallons || IG || spillover spa || gunite/plaster || Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 3.0 hp
    PurexTriton FNS Plus DE 60 sq ft || Taylor K-2006c || SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Some depends on your water supplier. Do you get charged sewer fees based on water use? Check into that. Otherwise, now is a great time.

How old is the plaster? Be aware when you drain a pool with old plaster there is always a chance of plaster de-lamination in spots.
    Yes, water and sewer are together, but we never worried about it when we drained it before. We didn't even see a change in our bill.

The plaster (and the pool) are 10 years old and looks in great shape. When I did it before I started filling it as soon as it was drained. Seems like now when it's cool would be best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by an1vrsy View Post
    Hi Oceansol, Although I’m north from your location in south Orange County, when I drained and refilled my pool in July, I called the water company to give them a heads up. In this way, if there were any restrictions, the phone rep could/would have told me. There wasn’t any restrictions.

Another thing, when you fill, check your water meter when you start and when complete. You’ll have a pretty accurate way of your determining your pool water volume. Good luck. The TFP way is the only way to go.
    Great tips, thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

Being that you're an a hard water area, when your CH inches up you can help dilute it down a bit again by harnessing any rain water you're expecting. Just drop the pool level an inch or so and let the rain re-fill it. This over time along with monitoring your pH/CSI numbers can help thwart scale problems.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

15. Back To Top    #15

The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
    In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two.
    Extended Test Kit Directions

Try to get your CSI down to 0 as soon as possible. I would suggest a sequestrant to help control scale and metals.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Extended Test Kit Directions

Try to get your CSI down to 0 as soon as possible. I would suggest a sequestrant to help control scale and metals.
    Can you tell me more about the sequestrant? What is it by brand, and where do i get it?

If i drain and refil this week, is it necessary?

Thank you!

17. Back To Top    #17

No sequestrant is needed for metals. Your area does not have any in the water. If you are draining then none for scale is needed either. Scale sequestrant is a consumable item (have to add constantly) and just hides an issue you can manage with proper chemistry.
    Marty

18. Back To Top    #18

If you're going to drain and refill, you don't need the sequestrant.

A sequestrant is a product that combines with metals and calcium to keep them in solution. Example:

http://jacksmagic.com/product/salt-s...-purple-stuff/

If you don't have metals, then you don't need the sequestrant.

Calcium can be managed by keeping the CSI between -0.3 and 0.0.

Be careful about draining the pool. If the ground water is high, the pool can float out of the ground.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    No sequestrant is needed for metals. Your area does not have any in the water. If you are draining then none for scale is needed either. Scale sequestrant is a consumable item (have to add constantly) and just hides an issue you can manage with proper chemistry.
    That's what I figured. We will drain and refil this coming weekend. I'll rent a pump at home depot and will immediately refil.

Can I use Pool Math to calculate how many bags of salt, and how much CYA I need to add?

20. Back To Top    #20

Shouldn't that be filled to 25 ml? That could be the problem.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast