WHAT IS THIS PART IN MY POOL DECK CALLED?

az300

Jul 7, 2009
WHAT IS THIS PART IN MY POOL DECK CALLED?

i cant find anything on this.

we bought a new house with a nice pool (model home)

in the deck there is the standard skimmer, the filler, and this confusing hole , wich i have never seen.

It has a clear sealed cover on it with 2 locks on the side, you open it up and there is a very fine filter in it, there are 2 pipes in it, one i assume blows water out, one that i believe sucks the water back out of the filter housing in the deck and goes back to the pool. This is activated by a valve on the pump labeled leaf vacuum. Is this for a preasure vacuum like the polaris or something else.

There is no booster pump.

And another question, the pop up cleaners are on the same side of a 2 way jandy valve as the "leaf vacuum" and when i turn the vacuum valve off so the one pump is dirrectly blowing into the pop ups the preassure jumps to 50 psi and the pop ups dont work. Is this a blockage or a problem with the mechanics in that housing?

Il be digging into it tommarow, if any one can please help me out on what this "tube" does or is called, please, let me know.

And how bad is it to rebuild motors, the motor for the water fall grinds real bad and is need of repair or replace.
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANK YOU

I have a funny feeling that the picture in my head looks nothing like what you are describing! Perhaps a picture posted up would help get you an answer. There are a lot of great folks on this page and surely someone will know what it is.

Welcome to the 'page!

It sounds like that is a leaf catcher/debris containment system. We have a Paramount PCC2000 infloor system and have a similar type of opening on our pool deck. On our pool, this just catches the leaves that are sucked down the main drain and traps them before they get to the pump basket. I seem to recall that there is an option that allows a vacuum system to be connected to the Leaf Catcher. That way, when you are vacuuming, all of the debris gets trapped before reaching the pump basket or filter. Go to paramountpoolproducts.com and see if that is the system you are talking about.

Its the leaf trapper for your infloor cleaning system. The 50psi reading sounds like your actuator valve is probably stuck. It may have a screen on the influent side that needs to be cleaned or other internal issues.

ok that makes alot more sense, and yes that setup is from paramount, not sure what one but that is it.

And when i said it jumps to 50psi i mean the gauge on the sand filter, not the one on the side of the mechanical part of the pop up system. That gauge only reads to about 20 pounds.

Another question, there is no dedicated vacuum or preasure line for a vacuum on the pool, is there any way to put one in with out doing any serious renovating or running one from the skimmer basket line?

Can you put a preassre powered vacuum into one of the wall returns or does it have to have s special line with a special connector attached to it?

Sorry for the newb questions i just have never dealt with a pool with this kind of setup. Thanks

I am not familiar with Paramount but on a caretaker it would not be unusual for the filter gauge to read about 40psi when the actuator gauge reads 25 which is a fairly good target pressure. You could try putting your multiport in recirc mode and see what the actuator pressure is and if the heads pop up. If they work then a backwash might solve the problem.

20 sounds about optimum based on what I read - below from the Paramount FAQ:

What pressure on the water valve gauge should my system operate at?
Anywhere from 14 psi to 24 psi with maximum cleaning happening about 18 to 22 psi with the correct nozzle sizes installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.