Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weir door question

1. Back To Top    #1

Weir door question

I'm hoping most weir doors are attached in a similar way. I need to know how to get mine off. I should have done it before all of this freezing weather but didn't, and man is that water cold I just stuck my hand in it to unstick the door. It wasn't stuck very much cause it didn't take much to loosen it. It wasn't allowing enough water in. The skimmer wasn't dry. It still had water in the bottom 1/3, but when I loosened the door water really poured in.
    Dang, I'll be glad when we get past this freezing weather

It is o.k. to take the door off isn't it
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weir door question

I don't know how to take the door off; is it solid, or rubber? Mine's some kind of rubber, and apparently is supposed to have some kind of floatation thingy in it so it floats properly. I had to custom-cut a piece of styrofoam and stick it in there to get it to work properly. If you have that kind, you could just take out whatever the floatation is.

Huh... did that make sense?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, that makes sense Mine is plastic.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine is plastic with a styrofoam insert for floatation. It just snaps onto a round protrusion on each side. It easily snaps off. If you stand it up straight and look at it from the basket side you can see how it attaches. There are some that have the hinge pins built in and they press toward the middle of the weir to release.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Bama Rambler. I'm going out there in a few minutes and check it out. Snow hasn't quite gotten to me yet. Gotta have my coffiee first though
    Lynn

6. Back To Top    #6

On mine there's a flat piece that has the hinges and the flapper door attached. That screws into the skimmer assembly. Mine's a Hayward IIRC.

Mine were sticking closed at one point causing the filter to suck in a bunch of air and it would quit priming eventually.
    That drove me crazy until I figured out what was happening.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

7. Back To Top    #7

I couldn't get mine off. Hands were freezing. So I took the lid off the skimmer(after pouring warm water on it to thaw it loose) and put an aluminum pole thing that I found in my basement in there to hold the door open. Have no idea what the pole thing was for but it's working nicely keeping the door down .
    Lynn

8. Back To Top    #8

If my pump house is staying at or above freezing, can I continue to run my pump on low speed or should I kick it up to high????
    Lynn

9. Back To Top    #9

Lynn, low should be OK to use

Moving water has a lower freezing temp, the water passing through your plumbing may well be lower than 32*, however, because the water is moving it can't crystallize around the nucleation sites
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

As always, thanks Ted Yeah, I thought the same thing about those nucleation sites
    Lynn

11. Back To Top    #11

And I thought talk about nucleation sites should be in the "Deep End"...
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

Our pool was missing the weir and several other parts when we purchased our home. The pool was empty as well. I did online research of all the equipment and was able to download all of the manuals for everything. Most include exploded views and part numbers. Some have part replacement instructions. The exploded views can give you an idea as to how a part is installed. I was able to find the correct parts to bring our pool back to life. Having manuals for all the equipment will make maintenance and finding parts a whole lot easier. JMHO.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.