Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cold Temps in the South

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Cold Temps in the South

As I read all of us Southerners posting in desperation about our 20 degree weather, I have a good mental image of folks North of Richmond having a good belly laugh.

Shoot, ya'll aint seen nothin' yet......wait 'til they forecast some snow.

At the first announcement that it might snow, we all jump in our cars and drive madly to the Winn-Dixie or Piggly-Wiggly (I think ya'll call 'em "grocery stores" up there) so we can strip the shelves of all bread and milk.

On the way home, we drive straight into a ditch at the first sign of a snowflake and then call for help. We've been doin' this for generations.....it's a ritual!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cold Temps in the South

Dave, well do i remember my winters in Richmond where, when the evil "S" word came into the forecast, Ukrops(grocery store chain) would sell out of milk, bread and toilet paper within a couple hours

I also remember the good 'ol boys thinking that their 4 wheel drive trucks would be able to stop on ice

Coming from the north, it was amusing to watch the mild hysteria a couple inches of snow would cause

Hope you and your pool are surviving this cold snap
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

The lines at the local grocery store were 5 people deep and every lane was open. Milk is almost gone....People are panicking because they are forecasting a winter storm warning and up to a foot of snow in some areas. We've had temps in the teens for more than a week now, since Christmas -the last time it snowed.

So ready for April......
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    The lines at the local grocery store were 5 people deep and every lane was open. Milk is almost gone....People are panicking because they are forecasting a winter storm warning and up to a foot of snow in some areas. We've had temps in the teens for more than a week now, since Christmas -the last time it snowed.

So ready for April......
    The same here in middle Tennessee Ann. We're only suppose to get 2-4". I too am soooooo ready for April
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I went to the store this evening for some bread and milk for dinner... ALL the PEPSI was gone!

There must be a bad storm brewing or someone needed a PEPSI fix! Ghesh.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I also remember the good 'ol boys thinking that their 4 wheel drive trucks would be able to stop on ice

Coming from the north, it was amusing to watch the mild hysteria a couple inches of snow would cause
    From a distance, you betcha! But I don't wanna be sharing the road with them.

To be fair, New Englanders tend to get over-excited when a hurricane blows through. I remember right before Gloria, when I was doing my weekly shopping and there was exactly one loaf left on the shelf.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

You think southerners driving in snow is bad...you should see Arizonans try to drive in a drizzle. Pathetic.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

I stopped at the store last night becasue I got a craving for a hot ham and cheese sandwich. I got THE LAST LOAF of bread...It did not even occur to me ALL the hoarders would be out ahead of the storm...6 more inches of snow last night at 4 degrees this morning.

Let us all chant - APRIL APRIL APRIL APRIL APRIL APRIL APRIL APRIL
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

It is rather amusing even having grown up in this state. Not the first flake of snow has fallen and every school in Mid TN is closed! I guess they feel that it's better safe than sorry. The memory still lingers around here from Feb. 03 when we had 3 inches fall in an hour and 8 inches total before it was all over and the whole city was in shutdown and gridlock because we didn't take it seriously! Not many of us will forget that, huh fellow Mid TNers??
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

10. Back To Top    #10

Reminds me of when I was 6, my family moved from Minnesota to Dallas, TX. It snowed that winter, all of about 2". We couldn't believe how everyone went crazy!
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by midtngal
    It is rather amusing even having grown up in this state. Not the first flake of snow has fallen and every school in Mid TN is closed! I guess they feel that it's better safe than sorry. The memory still lingers around here from Feb. 03 when we had 3 inches fall in an hour and 8 inches total before it was all over and the whole city was in shutdown and gridlock because we didn't take it seriously! Not many of us will forget that, huh fellow Mid TNers??
    Yup, I remember that storm. People were stranded in their vehicles on the interstate for hours and hours. Took me two hours to get home from downtown to Hendersonville because of all the people who were out who couldn't drive in snow.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

12. Back To Top    #12

One year when DH and I were dating, I was working in the city and it was Valentines Day. We had a huge snowstorm and Chicago was brought to it's knees. DH was at NIU about 1 1/2 hours away. He left DeKalb at 1:30 in the afternoon. Guess what time he finally showed up at my job? 6pm. Guess what time we made it back to my house on the South side (normally a 30 min commute)? 10:30 pm. Now THAT was fun.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

13. Back To Top    #13

BTW I'm feeling really bad for y'all down south that are trying to deal with these temps unexpectedly. Best of luck to everyone that nothing serious happens to anyone's pools.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    One year when DH and I were dating, I was working in the city and it was Valentines Day. We had a huge snowstorm and Chicago was brought to it's knees. DH was at NIU about 1 1/2 hours away. He left DeKalb at 1:30 in the afternoon. Guess what time he finally showed up at my job? 6pm. Guess what time we made it back to my house on the South side (normally a 30 min commute)? 10:30 pm. Now THAT was fun.
    Ann, this is a family friendly site

I can imagine how you kept each other warm during the 4 1/2 hours in that cold and lonely car (No wonder you married him )

:P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

15. Back To Top    #15

Took me two hours to get home from downtown to Hendersonville because of all the people who were out who couldn't drive in snow.
    Got ya beat Mike! It took me 7 (that's SEVEN) hours to get home that day! I kept trying to go different routes and should have just stayed the course. Finally ended up on Lebanon Rd. with one of those good old boys Duraleigh was talking about trying to squeeze in between me and the car in front of me (about 5 feet of space) spinning his wheels in the ice! Thought I was gonna have to get out and open a can...!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by midtngal
    Took me two hours to get home from downtown to Hendersonville because of all the people who were out who couldn't drive in snow.
    Got ya beat Mike! It took me 7 (that's SEVEN) hours to get home that day! I kept trying to go different routes and should have just stayed the course. Finally ended up on Lebanon Rd. with one of those good old boys Duraleigh was talking about trying to squeeze in between me and the car in front of me (about 5 feet of space) spinning his wheels in the ice! Thought I was gonna have to get out and open a can...!
    I finally got tired of creeping along on Ellington Parkway so I pulled out into the left hand lane and motored on. Everyone was in the right hand lane, left hand lane was wide open. Course, it helped that I had 4WD..
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

17. Back To Top    #17

Its **** cold here in NC!!!! Tell you what, we got about an inch of snow fall and on my way home from work My truck went in to 4x4 for the first time in its life. Owned since new. Bought it back in 02 as an 03 model. LOL I was amazed it worked. I know an inch of snow aint much, but for somebody that has only heard of this "snow" by watching tv. It was a must lol.
    John
    15x30 inground vinyl pool. 1 hp hayward pump, 200 pound sand filter. 8 feet deep in the deepest part. 3 feet in the shallow. 4 returns 2 in the steps, 1 in the shallow end, and one in the deep, 1 skimmer (wish there were 2) and one Main drain. Only thing I wish is I had a more powerful pump, The jets never really put out alot of power. No frills pool. Has a light and thats about it as far as specail features go. BBB user ever since I opened this season thanks to TPF

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Ann, this is a family friendly site

I can imagine how you kept each other warm during the 4 1/2 hours in that cold and lonely car (No wonder you married him )

:P
    Ted, you are a bad, bad boy.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the teens this morning in DFW area. I grew up in NE Ohio and don't miss this cold weather! :P
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

20. Back To Top    #20

Somewhere back there is my pool....
    Attached Images Attached Images