Salt water taste - minimum salt level

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

Looking to switch to swg. Got some great advice from you all. Leaning towards: circupool rj-60 plus.

It looks like the minimum salt level is 3000. One thing I despise is the taste of salt water in swimming pools. I'm wondering if that is too high but the specs on most of the other swgs are right about the same as far as I can tell.

Is this going to be a problem? Thanks a million in advance.

Some can taste it, some cannot.

Our salinity is around 3400 ppm. I cannot taste. Some of my family members can.

Mitch,

I can start to taste it if it gets much above 3500.. I try to run between 2900 to 3200..

Even when I can taste it, it is only for the first few seconds I am in the pool.. For me anyway, after that the salty test is gone.

Jim R.

Mitch,

I can start to taste it if it gets much above 3500.. I try to run between 2900 to 3200..

Even when I can taste it, it is only for the first few seconds I am in the pool.. For me anyway, after that the salty test is gone.

Jim R.

I can taste it at around 2800-3000ppm. Like you, I only notice it when I first get in. I love the way the water feels with it and love the convenience of the SWCG. For me, the benefits far outway the taste of salt when I first get in.

Here’s a hint don’t drink pool water. Mine is around 3400, if I tasted it, I’m sure it would be salty, but I don’t drink or even taste my pool water.

Thanks all. Guess I will keep it about 3,000 and hope for the best :)

For anyone saying don't drink it... That's not exactly how pool water works. If you ever get your head wet, you are tasting the water.

My only real experience in a pool with salt was really off-putting. But I have no idea what the person's levels were.

Thanks for all the advice

I can very minimally taste the salt in mine when it is at 3400 when it falls to around 3200 I don't really notice it. It is nowhere near what you would consider salty tasting though, at least not compared to ocean salt levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
People who complain about tasting salt in a pool must hate swimming in the ocean. The salt levels are 10 times as much there.

People's taste buds vary a lot. For me, saltwater pool water tastes different from tap water, but not salty tasting, until it gets up to around 4500 ppm.

You can make some up at 3000 ppm and try it. To make test water, add 1 tsp of salt to 2 US quarts of distilled water, and that's very close to 3000 ppm.

To go the full nine yards, order a Taylor K-1766 test kit. Test your pool water (often around 1000 to 1500 ppm salt unless it's a new fill). Get a gallon of pool water and take small samples in three plastic cups. Then use the test kit to find out how much salt you already have. Add salt to take that gallon up to 3000 ppm (probably around 1 teaspoon). Get someone else to take three samples of the new saltier water in the same style cup, behind your back. Then get them to pass the cups from behind your back to you randomly and taste a sip or two. Tell them what you think and they write it down, until you've sipped from all six cups. Then you'll know if you can detect it in a blind test.

I've seen this done with coke vs. diet coke vs. pepsi vs. diet pepsi and if the drinks are cold, the results are pretty random, believe it or not :) and more money was won by those who bet on "no, you can't"

People's taste buds vary a lot. For me, saltwater pool water tastes different from tap water, but not salty tasting, until it gets up to around 4500 ppm.

You can make some up at 3000 ppm and try it. To make test water, add 1 tsp of salt to 2 US quarts of distilled water, and that's very close to 3000 ppm.

To go the full nine yards, order a Taylor K-1766 test kit. Test your pool water (often around 1000 to 1500 ppm salt unless it's a new fill). Get a gallon of pool water and take small samples in three plastic cups. Then use the test kit to find out how much salt you already have. Add salt to take that gallon up to 3000 ppm (probably around 1 teaspoon). Get someone else to take three samples of the new saltier water in the same style cup, behind your back. Then get them to pass the cups from behind your back to you randomly and taste a sip or two. Tell them what you think and they write it down, until you've sipped from all six cups. Then you'll know if you can detect it in a blind test.

I've seen this done with coke vs. diet coke vs. pepsi vs. diet pepsi and if the drinks are cold, the results are pretty random, believe it or not :) and more money was won by those who bet on "no, you can't"

That's actually a great idea I think I might try that. The salt pool didn't really taste salty to me. It was just off putting because the water almost seemed like it tasted sweaty. In fact that is probably the best comparison. Especially when the water is warm it had a sweaty feel / taste to it with the salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.