Meter on auto fill

Jul 1, 2009
Has anyone put a meter on the autofill for the pool?
We are about to go from a flat rate to pay for usage water. It would be nice to know how much water is going in the pool. It may also help to determine leaks, evaporation, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Don't know that you could hook any type of metering device to that, since it is a live water line directly to the unit. When the float is low the water flows. When it reaches elevation it stops. That is as basic as they get, and I don't know how you would hook a gauge in line to check it.

BTW, those things are notorious for sticking (on!). There is a built in overflow so most folks that have them never know they are running or stuck :shock: I am not a big fan of them (I actually refuse to install them since they fail so often) and would seriously reconsider using it at all if you are facing water "rationing". It is a bit of an inconvenience to drag the hose over when you do need to add water, but you know when it is on and when it is off!

I was not aware of an overflow for these units. So where does the "overflow" water go? My last pool had a float unit that when got stuck "on", the pool would over fill. Seems like added work to make an overflow drain to a sewer or to the yard. That would be nice for times of heavy rain. The auto fill on my current pool seems to be working properly. I usually remove the deck cover and check the valve and float operation when performing the weekly equipment inspection for any visual or audible problems.

Like people that have Salt Chlorine generator systems for convenience, I like the convenience of the autofill.

I found this meter: http://www.jerman.com/dljmeter.html , and figure this may work. Install in the water feed line to the autofill.

ntrsandman said:
I was not aware of an overflow for these units. So where does the "overflow" water go? My last pool had a float unit that when got stuck "on", the pool would over fill. Seems like added work to make an overflow drain to a sewer or to the yard. That would be nice for times of heavy rain. The auto fill on my current pool seems to be working properly. I usually remove the deck cover and check the valve and float operation when performing the weekly equipment inspection for any visual or audible problems.

Like people that have Salt Chlorine generator systems for convenience, I like the convenience of the autofill.

I found this meter: http://www.jerman.com/dljmeter.html , and figure this may work. Install in the water feed line to the autofill.

:lol: :lol: I gotta laugh just a little! "I usually remove the deck cover and check the valve and float operation when performing the weekly equipment inspection for any visual or audible problems. I like the convenience of the autofill". That sounds like alot more work that turning on the hose to me :-D I do more than my fair share of this type of rationalizing, so I really am laughing with you!

The PB is supposed to tie the overflow line to a landscape drain. Sometimes they "forget". When they do tie it in, and the float sticks, is when you don't really know it is happening :shock:

The way I look at it is like this: my toilet float sticks occasionally in my indoor, enclosed, covered-with-a-lid toilet! How would I expect the same unit not to stick outdoors, with dirt, leaves, dog hair, etc.? It's a great idea, just a bad application!

I'm not sure that meter would fit in the autofill box! Do you have room back at the supply? How about an idea of how much water is going to the pool? Seems like you'd have to have a starting point to see if you are using more or less to really know if there is a leak or not (and don't forget to allow for hot weather versus cool/cold weather and evaporation rates!

I suppose that spending less than 5 minutes a week (including a visual when testing water) inspecting the pool's pumps, filter, autofill, debris baskets, valves, etc for potential issues may be a lot harder than dragging the garden hose out to fill the pool and rolling it back up every day (summer) for some folks. But, to each his own.

I also check the oil, trans fluid, p/s fluid, tire pressures, etc on my vehicles as well. They are used everyday like the pool equipment.

But for some, out of sight, out of mind. Until something goes wrong. Then get frantic on a forum.

Thanks for your input on the meter.

Another method to determine water loss is to measure how much the water level has dropped over a course of a few days or week. With the autofill off, measure the water drop from a start level and if you know the area of the pool, you can easily calculate the volume of water lost by the drop in the water level.

Water Loss (gallons) = Area (sq-ft) * Drop (in) / 12 * 7.48

Doing this test every quarter will give you a pretty good idea of what you are losing over the course of the year.

ntrsandman said:
I suppose that spending less than 5 minutes a week (including a visual when testing water) inspecting the pool's pumps, filter, autofill, debris baskets, valves, etc for potential issues may be a lot harder than dragging the garden hose out to fill the pool and rolling it back up every day (summer) for some folks. But, to each his own.

I also check the oil, trans fluid, p/s fluid, tire pressures, etc on my vehicles as well. They are used everyday like the pool equipment.

But for some, out of sight, out of mind. Until something goes wrong. Then get frantic on a forum.

Thanks for your input on the meter.

Truth is, I run along the same lines as you do! I use a drop kit to check water (not the more convenient,and, in my opinion, unreliable, strips!), do not have any "chemical feeders" (tab feeder, SWCG, etc.) on my pool currently (I add liquid myself), and still change my own oil and do as much vehicle maintenance as I can! You are correct, sometimes it isn't the easiest way to do things, but you know it is done! Then you can feel good and :cheers:

That being said, I'm still not a fan of the toilet bowl autofills. Please keep us posted as to what you learn!

I agree with Bruce. Another down side to the toilet float levelers is freezing.

In our area typical rainfall exceeds evaporation and the pools require very little make up water. Most customers have hose bibs close to the pool and like to hose down the patios, furniture etc and adding a little water to the pool is very convienient. The argument about going on vacation and the pump seal burning out seems pretty silly and can actually be solved by adding an equalizer line to a skimmer.

With water rates skyrocketing you can run up a huge bill in a few days with a stuck toilet float type autofill. I guess you could argue that the solenoid valve could get stuck in an eletronic fill system but I have not seen this happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wonder if geographic location and/or water quality would have some bearing on the AF valve? Have never had a problem with a toilet valve. Flapper? Yes. Valve, no.
Never had debris of any kind in the pool autofill housing. The feed is about a foot under water and has a cover over the valve assy. Can't see how stuff can get in there. Have slightly hard water from city supply. Have a handful of days where there could be a freezing problem. "Closing" a pool? Whats that? Its ready to swim 24/7,365. To me, closing the pool means too cold to swim. But the filter and cleaner are still working. Can't imagine the work some go through to protect the pool and equipment. A labor of love! I am sure if we lived in a four seasons area, I would do the same thing.

Anyway, I know that AFs are not bullet proof. Just glad shots haven't been fired at mine (indoor or outdoor), Yet. And if one gets mortally wounded in battle, I will likely send in a replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.