Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I was wondering if anyone has had a positive or negative experience with rebuilt motors and/or pumps. They seem to be at a very attractive price point but I was curious as to the actual life span of the motor since it is rebuilt. I would expect a shorter life span but uncertain as to how much less and if anyone has had experience with one.

PoolGuyNJ said:
In a pinch, it can get a DIYer an extra year or so. I don't/won't use them. People get P/Oed when it dies. Let them be mad at themselves.

Scott
I'm somewhat surprised by this statement, although I suppose the longevity would depend on the care taken when rebuilding the motor or pump. The reason I mention it is that I have used rebuilt motors in my printing equipment with good success over the years. Although they are never as good as brand new I've gotten good life out of them. Maybe I'm just lucky...

Mark, just out of curiosity, do you have a source for the rebuilt motor/pumps?

Standard single speed and two speed pool pump motors are substantially different in terms of quality and use from those used in printing presses. Most presses I am familiar with use variable speed motors, single and 3 phase power (big ones!). Pool pumps don't have to deal with paper dust or cleaning solutions, just weather.

For an Intelliflow or Jandy E-Pump, I would expect a decent life from a rebuilt unit. They use a totally different type of motor, similar in many ways to those used in presses, elevators and so on.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Standard single speed and two speed pool pump motors are substantially different in terms of quality and use from those used in printing presses. Most presses I am familiar with use variable speed motors, single and 3 phase power (big ones!). Pool pumps don't have to deal with paper dust or cleaning solutions, just weather.

For an Intelliflow or Jandy E-Pump, I would expect a decent life from a rebuilt unit. They use a totally different type of motor, similar in many ways to those used in presses, elevators and so on.

Scott
AHA! That makes perfect sense! Shows you how much I know about motors... :lol:

Thanks for the great info, as always, Scott!

Thanks for the reponses so far. Basically, I am just doing some research in case the need ever arises.

I was looking at a supplier in Az called Perry's Pool Pumps, they sell on ebay too. When rebuilding they replace all of the bearings, capacitors, switches and recondition the housing. So about the only parts they reuse are the housing and windings. Of course the windings are a key failure component so that is likely to be what fails in a reconditioned motor which is what prompted my question.

Motor windings can and do fail, but not on any regular basis. Some of the causes would be thermal cycling which can create friction in the windings and wear insulation, or foreign objects getting into the motor and damaging the insulation, or plain ol' insulation degradation due to dust, dirt, and elements.

A real motor shop will have the capability to perform hi-pot testing on the windings, and would be able to tell pretty quickly if the insulation had been compromised. If so, rebuilding the motor wouldn't be justified unless it is cost-effective to rewind it, and for most small motors (pool pumps included), that's not the case.

If, however, a motor shop rebuilds the motor, it should get bearings, cap, any worn components as mention above, and also get insulation testing and vibration testing, which should identify bent shafts or unbalanced rotors. You should get a motor capable of a nice long productive life. Again, if the windings are compromised, the same is not true.

I will say, though, that the motor shop where I used to work, so many years ago, did stock Hayward pumps, though, 'cause so many pool pump motors simply weren't up to a rebuild.

I recommend rebuilds rarely, but have never had anyone complain about going that route. It has to be a pretty specific circumstance:
- An expensive motor, probably a 2-3 HP, 2spd.
- A young motor, either just out of warranty or one that isn't covered by warranty due to a failed seal.

90% of the time (for me) this means motors installed on hot tubs. They're usually stronger, 2 spd pumps, and they're tucked out of sight so the homeowner doesn't know a seal is gone until the bearings start to squeal.

I generally suggest around a $90-100 break point. A couple of hours of motor shop time will cost about that, so if your motor cost that or less, one probably shouldn't even consider rebuilding. Much above that, and a rebuild might be viable.

Much like any other work, you'll want a reputable motor shop. There are some shoddy ones out there, but if they move a lot of motors, they probably know their stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.