Best complete SWG conversion for simplified use?

Nov 24, 2018
Tampa, fl
I've done quite a bit of reading, learning, and more reading. I'm purchasing a house in Tampa, FL that has a rather small pool with hot tub. Maybe 12-14k gallons. It is currently a traditional chlorine pool. I'd ask feedback for the best products and solution to simplify the chemical balance. I'm fairly handy and expect I'll be able to figure it out, but I'm looking to lower the curve as much as possible.

I've figured out that Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy are the 3 major manufacturers. The pool guy's reference is to install a Jandy TruClear SWG.

I've read on a few other posts about IntellipH systems, Sense and Dispense systems (questionable reliability), etc. I'm interested in the Stenner MA dispenser as well.

I guess the magic question, if you had it to do all over again with 20/20 vision, as the saying goes, what components would you use as a whole solution to convert to a salt water pool and make the day-to-day\week-to-week maintenance as simple as possible. I'm not lazy so I didn't say as "easy" as possible. I'm just trying to keep it simple but also reliable.

Many thanks to all those that post here and provide invaluable insight into the magical juggling act of pool maintenance!

-Harry

Welcome to TFP and the joys of pool ownership.

Get a SWG. Lots of us here like the Pentair. Get an IC40 for your size pool - IntelliChlor - Pool and Spa Sanitizers - Pentair Hayward is equally good and some folks like the Compupool. I would look among those 3. You can read Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

I would wait on automating a PH solution until you get some experience in the pool. Some pools hold their PH very well and others need constant lowering.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Trouble Free Pool School

I installed the Jandy Truclear SWG by myself this season for my neighbor with a 24k gallon pool that was traditional chlorine (for 15 years). Installation was super easy with no issues at all. It easily handles his water volume I think he runs it around 70%. If you do get that model request the cell cap option so you can remove the cell if you winterize.

Any of the Big 3 SWG systems are going to work fine for you. They are all equal in their effectiveness.

The reason the pool guy suggested Jandy to you is because I'm sure he is a Jandy dealer and his profit will be higher than with some other brand. Thats how things work in the pool business. Just like Ford and Chevy have dealers.
Rarely will a local Pool Business be dealers and impartial to all.

Having said that, the thing you want to look at is the cost going forward. The main cost over time is the cell. How much to replace one if it goes bad. Figure that, and you'll be money ahead.

I know recently a lot of folks have recommended Compupool SWG's. You won't find a broad array of reviews on this system because Compupool is fairly recent re-branding of the circupool products which had a less than stellar reputation for long lasting products. I dont have any axe to grind, but it is what it is.

Do your research thoroughly and Im sure that whichever system you end up with, you'll like it. They are well worth the investment for keeping your pool clean and sparkly with minimal hands on maintenance.

Can anyone please share the model and what's required for the Stenner MA tank?

Again, my pool is about 12k-15k gallons and that includes a hot tub.

I'm looking at the Jandy simply because the pool guy had had success with them and they seem to have reliable quality.

I'm trying to get the details of the MA tank and installation.

Many thanks.

So after spelling Stenner correctly........ :/

I've found several posts about Stenner pumps with chlorine but only a few with Muriatic Acid applications for SWG.

From what I've gathered, the Stenner 45MPHP2 is a solid choice with the 15 gallon tank and the black UV tubing. The electrical box on the pad has plenty of room for another timer so I think I'm good there.

Does anyone know if the generic mechanical yellow-wheel timer would work or is there another specific timer that is required?

So I'm guessing the install is simple as well as it appears only a few things are required. The pump, tank, t-valve, and some electrical. I've also noticed that there is a 120v option, which would seem to be fine.

Again, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

I have my eye on a Pentair acid dispenser with a pump - it is a lot smaller than the Stenner 15gallon unit (which would last me over 2 years).

Here is the link to it as an option for you - I am thinking of installing this exact unit in the Spring. https://sunplay.com/products/pentair-acid-tank-with-tank-mounted-pump-522472

This unit has been discussed in some other threads and is used by a few others on here as well...I will post some links in a minute.

edit: Link to Posts Added
Get IntelliPH working without InteliChlor?

My post with a drawing of the Pentair unit:

My guy came back with Pentair Intelliph and the Pentair IC40 salt system as the best solution for SWG with MA in both timed dispersal. I'm not going to use the sensor for the MA, just the tank with a timer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.