Pipe size intelliflo vs vs superflo vs

Iolly

Nov 21, 2018
Seminyak Indonesia
Hi guys , just a little question about pipe size .
my system has pipes size of 1-1,2 inch.
i checked the the specs the intelliflo vs has 2 inch compare to the superflo vs has 1-1,2.
here in Indonesia all pentair filter that they sell are 1-1,2 inch.
inwould like to buy the intelliflo vs.
is there a problem if I buy the intelliflo vs and mount some reduction pipe? The pump will have problem?
thank you

No problem. Reduce to 1.5 inch.

You will need to see what max RPM is reasonable once you install the Intelliflo and then use the key pad to limit your RPM to that number. Read the owners manual when you get the pump.

Adapting the size is a very simple matter. Do yourself a favor and use pump couplings when installing. They make the install easier and insure a leak-free connection at the pump. They use an o-ring against the pump body to make the seal. Also, make sure you have electrical surge protection. Power surges are the number one cause of VS pumps failing. The 011018 Intelliflo pump is probably the most reliable and recommend VS pump. It also provides better programming and control options than the SuperFlo. I’ve been using one for over four years now and love it.

Here are examples of the pump couplings and surge protectors.

Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Outdoor

Amazon.com: whole house surge protector: Patio, Lawn Garden

Thank you for your reply,really appreciate.
My pool is a rectangle 53 ft x 9 ft x 4,6 ft av deep = tot 16'400 gal.
pipe are 1,5 inch
i have to choose from intelliflo vs or superflow vs.
also the filter i have to buy and here in Indonesia they have only the pentair: ta40 ta50 ta60 ta100 or sd80, all of them 1,5 inch.
all these filter have a low gpm flow rated (from 40 to 100 gmp max for the ta100).
i'm afraid to buy the intelliflo vs as its too higher flow rate compare what the these filter required as max flow rated, is it right to be afraid?
what is it for your knowledge the best option to buy intelliflo or superflo and which filter too?

really sorry to bother you.

The Intelliflo VS will pump at whatever rate you want it to. From a few gpm to whatever the max will be with your piping. If you have no need for higher flow rates, set the max rpm on the VS pump at 2500 rpm when you get it. See what the pressure is at that rate. If acceptable, use it as your max. For normal filtering, use 1200 rpm or so.

Unlike single speed pumps, a VS pump cannot really be too powerful. That’s the real beauty of VS. You can fine tune the speed and flow to precisely fit your specific situation. A 3 hp. Intelliflo pump running a a slow speed will meet your need while using very little electrical power. For example, I can effectively filter water in my pool while running my pump as low as 1,000 rpm. Doing so uses about as power as a single 100 watt light bulb. The Intelliflo also allows you to set a hard maximum rpm, which avoids over stressing the system. I can assure the Intelliflo will not be too powerful.

You should get the Superflo if all your pipe is 1 1/2". Your plumbing's maximum flow rate will max out long before you reach the max speed/flow of the Intelliflo pump. You wont be able to move the amount of water that the Intelliflo provides at its higher speed(s) due to the smaller pipe size. It will be a waste of money to get the Intelliflo pump. ~1000.00 for the Intelliflo versus ~ 600.00 for the superflo.

I realize that you will probably be running at a slow speed to take advantage of the energy savings, so why wouldn't you want to spend less up front when you are going to run the same speed/flow on either pump anyway?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea since the superflo is a variable speed ( 3 program) like the intelliflo variable speed ,with the difference that the superflo is a 1,5 inch fit compare the intelliflo is a 2 inch , i though was better to go for the superflo. Both can be set to run at a low speed with the difference that the intelliflo has 3 hpncompare the super has 1,5 so I assume tha the intelliflo can flow more water if run at a higher speed,right?
the superflo can be modified the rpm like the intelliflo or the 3 speed are fix?

what do you think about the filter? Which is better?
thank you

Your plumbing's maximum flow rate will max out long before you reach the max speed/flow of the Intelliflo pump. You wont be able to move the amount of water that the Intelliflo provides at its higher speed(s) due to the smaller pipe size.
Sorry PC but that is simply not true. Flow rate will change proportionally with RPM over the full range of RPM. There is no fundamental flow rate limit in a pool plumbing/pump system. The only thing that 1 1/2" plumbing does vs 2" plumbing is to increase head loss at a given RPM. But that doesn't mean that the flow rate "maxes out" at any RPM other than the max RPM. But that is only because the RPM maxes out.

My neighbor has 1 1/2" suction and return plumbing and he has the Pentair IntelliFlow VS (Variable Speed) Pump (011018). He has had this pump for 3 years and it is working like a champ. No problems at all and working great since I re-programmed it for him after the original installer (from the pool store where it was purchased) just wam/bam threw in some goofy programming initially, without even taking into account my neighbor's specific cleaning parameters or preferences.

This particular pump is outstanding! Durable, proven, quiet, energy efficient, forgiving of user error and very reliable. It will certainly work with 1 1/2" plumbing with no problem at all, once you adapt the plumbing size as has been recommended earlier in the thread.

I set my neighbor's max RPM at 2400 due to the smaller pipe size. He has 3 manual programs and 3 auto programs (can't remember the exact settings I programmed for him). He is happy as punch now and that pump is exceeding his expectations even after 3 years.

I did try to talk him into a surge suppression device, since the pump has electronics that could be damaged by a power surge, but he hasn't taken my advice so far. I sure hope he doesn't learn the value of a whole house surge suppression device the hard way. Otherwise, I will be helping him with a new pump :cool:.

Illoy,

Buy whatever pump you want, but the idea that the IntelliFlo will not work with 1.5" plumbing is just not correct.

I have two rent houses that both have 1.5" plumbing and the 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps... They have been running 24/7 for between 5 and 7 years...

Cost to run 24/7 is about $20 bucks a month and my filter pressure is less than 5 lbs. with DE filters.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you guys for your advice ,at the end I ordered the intelliflo vs.

now I’ve got an other question:
better sand filter or cartridge filter? Pro and cons at the same gpm speed and same flow.

i was looking at sand filter taegalus td100 or the cartridge filter clean and clear cc100.
same specs.
whick is the best?

An Intelliflo will work with 1.5" plumbing, but you should program a safe maximum limit right away.

There's no reason that you should ever need maximum speed.

Depending on the plumbing, you could potentially cavitate the pump on the suction side or overstress the return side equipment.

For example, you could not put 75 gpm through a single 100 foot long 1.5" pvc pipe on the suction side because the water would begin boiling (cavitating).

Even if the water didn't boil, the atmospheric pressure couldn't push the water through the lines any faster than 75 gpm anyway.

For good hydraulic design, 1.5" suction lines should be limited to about 38 to 51 gpm (6 ft/sec to 8 ft/sec) and return lines should be limited to about 51 to 63 gpm (8 ft/sec to 10 ft/sec).

The pipe can handle more than 63 gpm, but beyond that, the cost in power to get more flow is not efficient.

The suction lines have fundamental limits on flow rates due to the fact that water will turn into a gas at low pressure.

Return lines don't have a limit other than their rated psi or the rated psi of the equipment. For a 100 foot pipe, you would probably get to about 410 gpm (65 ft/sec) before you hit the rated pressure of 330 psi. Equipment ratings vary but generally don't exceed 50 psi.

For a cartridge filter, bigger is better. You then have to clean it less. I have a 240 SF filter for my 6000 gallon pool. I would suggest a minimum of 300 SF filter for your pool.

Sand filter is great if your water is cheap and you have an easy place to put the bachwash water. Again, big is better. At least 30 inch for your pool.

Sorry PC but that is simply not true. Flow rate will change proportionally with RPM over the full range of RPM. There is no fundamental flow rate limit in a pool plumbing/pump system. The only thing that 1 1/2" plumbing does vs 2" plumbing is to increase head loss at a given RPM. But that doesn't mean that the flow rate "maxes out" at any RPM other than the max RPM. But that is only because the RPM maxes out.

You missed to point i was trying to get across. I did not mean to imply that the larger Intelliflo pump would not work. It will work just fine. So will the smaller 1 1/2 hp VS pump. And the customer will not see a difference in performance. However he will see the smaller pump pay for itself sooner. That larger pump has more flow rate, GPM, power, what ever you want to call it, than he will need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.