didn't close; weather worse than expected...am I in trouble?

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
Hi guys! It's been a while. Things have gone so smoothly that I've pretty much been just sailing through the process. Well, as with last year, I decided not to close my pool this year. I have a freeze protection sensor on my timer and things have gone fairly smoothly. I pretty much keep my eye on things; checking almost daily to make sure it's all running as it's supposed to. This cold snap has thrown a big wrench into the plan to not close the pool. I have a small leak in the connection of the main pipe to the pump as well as maybe not having the clamp tight enough on the pump so there's a small leak there. I'm on my 3rd clamp handle due to stripping it from tightening it too much so I'm very cautious with this one as to how tight I get it. Well, with 20's being our high here in Nashville this week and snow predicted for Wed. night I have a slight ice issue around the pump! I have gotten the ice cleared away and today have sprayed a liberal amount of de-icer around/on it. The pump itself is working fine but I'm betting wit this ice build-up around it that may not last. (?).

I'm wondering if it's too late to have someone come close the pool? How much trouble am I in here? I'm thinking that since it's so cold and below freezing with no let-up in sight that there's not really a way to have someone come fix the leak. Am I safe to keep my eye on it? I'm at a loss here ont his one!

How are my fellow Middle Tenn folks that don't close their pools handling this??? I'm thinking next year I'll need to close since it seems to have gotten colder every year since I had this put in! (that's my world for ya!)

TIA,
Karen

Hey Karen,
I'm with ya on the cold weather. I just posted a thread quite similar to yours. I live 10 miles NE of Gallatin. If I didn't have a building around my equipment I would be in a mess. Don't have an answer for you, but I know someone here will be able to help you. Good luck.
I hope our pools can survive this winter. :)

Hey Lynn! I saw your post right after I posted....looks like we're all kinda freakin' over this! I watched your build...I was wondering where exactly you were. That's a beautiful hill you live on! I thought maybe you might be closer to the plateau.

I have fencing around my equipment but no roof. I'm thinking I might at least put up an umbrella through this snow we're "fixin' " to get! :)

Yeah, there are some great folks here and I ought to be better about contributing since they were so helpful when I built my pool. But they are so much smarter than I am, I don't have a whole heck of a lot to say! :lol:

midtngal said:
Yeah, there are some great folks here and I ought to be better about contributing since they were so helpful when I built my pool. But they are so much smarter than I am, I don't have a whole heck of a lot to say! :lol:

DITTO!!!!!!

Any reason why you folks dont actually close your pools? :oops:

I would do a full line blow out if i lived north of a line from south georgia/alabama. Too much risk of freezing weather for a long period of time. You cant swim, so why risk it? I pay my pool company to blow the lines. They guarantee the work and if the lines freeze and break or the heater ges kaploo-y (is that a word?) it's on them.

Wellllll, cause before this year it's a rare thing to have this cold of weather for so long a period. We are kinda in the grey area of whether to or not. I have friends that do and family that don't. I kept track of the weather while building in order to make that decision and there were only 8 days all winter that didn't get above freezing and they weren't all in a row. I'm guessing that I'll be spending the rest of this year preparing for closing next winter! :shock:

Karen, Happy New Year!!

I, personally, have missed hearing from you :( :p

Don't fret this small problem! (when the weather permits, I'll [we'll] help you take care of the little leaks)

As long as the pool is fine and the drips aren't breaking anything - don't sweat it, just keep doing as you have been :cool:

It's great to hear from you again!!

Just put on some Buffett and crank up the concoction maker, and keep an eye on the pool and pump :goodjob: :wink:

Karen,
You might think about putting some lumber up around your equipment pad before next winter. Ted and Dave just told me I was good to go. That info was quite a relief :whoot:
I think I have about $1100 dollars in mine but mine is 9x12. I built it larger for storage. Could have gotten away with a much smaller one just to cover the equipment.

Aww Ted...you can always be counted on for a self-esteem boost! :lol: Happy New Year to you as well (and all other TFPers!)!!

Thanks for assuring me here. I'm kindly nervous about everything freezing up. Just got home and everything seems to be humming along...21 FREAKIN' DEGREES! Going down to TA-WELVE! Uggghhh! Snow tomorrow night! I HATE THIS WEATHER! 74 days until the 1st day of Spring! :whoot:

Yeah, Lynn...I've decided I need to construct something for the equipment. I have a HOA that likes to show their authority so an official "storage shed" is not not allowed therefore out of the question. I had put up a canopy but one good storm and it was gone. I'm thinking something that will be below the privacy fence level. But, it has to be something that I can open/move as I have to clean out the impeller at lease once a month; more in the summer. I'll have to ponder that.....

And Ted...it's too dang cold for that Margarita maker! :lol:

Thanks for the advice and reassurances all! I promise to keep better in touch here!

Karen

Karen/Lynn,

I am in middle TN as well and am in the same boat. This is my 4th season with a pool and I have never winterized. My wife called yesterday, as I was on the road, and said the pool was frozen and she feared the pipes froze up. I'm not sure if that was the case, because she was able to get the pump going and everything seems to be working OK. Although I have a nice layer of ice forming on top even though the pump is running. Hopefully that is nothing to be concerned with. I also have a leak at the pump that I have pretty much been ignoring that is iced up pretty good. Glad to hear that there is not much to worry about there. I guess I should fix that some day.

I finally installed a freeze protection timer this year and it was working great, but I am wondering why is shut off at some point yesterday. Not sure if it malfunctioned or not. I still have the timer set to go on/off and am wondering if the timer shut the pump off and the freeze protection didn't kick it back on for some reason.

Anyway, good luck with this cold snap and stay warm.

Riles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Riles. I was thinking about you 'cause I knew you were one that didn't close their pool either. I had a pretty good chunk of ice by the pump but I melted it and chipped it away thinking it probably wasn't a good thing and have kept the de-icer spray going as well as the drive-way melt stuff now. So far so good.

I can tell you that if your freeze protection sensor gets any sun at all it will kick the pump off since it thinks its above freezing. I even have a board in front of mine so that the sun isn't hitting it directly and it STILL let the pump shut off! I just turned it back on and it will take over from there.

I think I'm gonna start saving now to have the pool closed next year. This ain't worth it! Not to mention these winters seem to be getting colder by the year!

Good luck to us all! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.