New vinyl pool owner - SWG manual vs TFP target levels

Hello all

Owning a pool is a new experience for me, but I've been bumbling through this site and learning a lot. For the last 5 weeks I've been attempting to achieve the levels on the TFP calculator. I tested once a week, and it took a fair amount of CYA to bring the level up.

I have a few questions below and I would appreciate some advice before I make a mess of things coming into summer :cool: But first here is some relevant info:
I don't have a pool cover, the pool receives full sun and summer is about to start.
The SWG manual states pH 7.2-7.4, TA 90-150, CYA 40-65, Salt 4,500-5,500, chlorine 1.5-2.0.

14-OctTodayTap Water
FC14-
CC0.5<0.5-
CYA<30 (off scale)100-
pH7.87.67.6
TA125110125
CH225-100
Salt5,6004,800-
Temp2024-

1. I slowly raised the CYA, but now it has shot up to 100. Should I run the SWG at a higher level until I achieve 5 to 7 FC, or should I try and lower the CYA level?

2. The TFP website recommends a higher CYA and FC level than my SWG. Which should I follow? I'm currently using the TFP goal settings in the calculator.

3. I am losing about 1.5" to 2" of level every week. Mean daily evaporation rates here for November were 7.6mm so it seems to make sense. I managed to lower my TA to 110 but it climbed back up, perhaps from filling approx 1,500L of tap water at 125ppm every week. What should I do here? My SWG manual states up to 150ppm is acceptable, but should I be concerned about this?

4. What will this high evaporation generally do to my other levels over summer? If recommended I will buy a pool cover, but I'm afraid the water will get pretty warm.

5. I've been maintaining 7.6 pH, should I lower this for the SWG?

6. My salt level seems high from what I have seen, but it's within the range of the SWG so I assume it's OK?

7. I changed the pump gasket after it sprung a leak. No water leaks out, but the system seems to take in air when I shut the pump off and drain itself rapidly. Air bubbles rise into the SWG and it drains completely. When I start it up, the pump primes but the return jets blow out air bubbles for a long time. Should I be attempting to get the plumbing air tight or is this normal?

8. Perth has high wind, so the pool quickly fills with leaves, pollen and bugs. I always have the floor cleaner attached so the skimmer isn't functioning, so I was considering a surface skimmer that attaches to a return jet. Are these effective?

Thanks! :cool:

From one sandgroper to another welcome to TFP.

First of all good job on the Clearchoice test kit- this will ultimately hold you in good stead going forward.

So to a few tips- one thing you will discover is that TFP levels will often differ from recommendations by pool equipment/pool chemical manufacturers. If you want to follow the TFP way then you'll need to disregard any advice given from pool stores and other recommendations. We primarily base our numbers on the FC/CYA relationship which it sounds like you have a handle on.

A cover is a good investment- it saves you from having to regularly refill your water which will add TA and then you'll be regularly adding acid to bring it and the pH down. It will also help to preserve your FC from being depleted by the sun especially in summer. A pool cover can help you maintain a nice temperature with your swimming water but if it gets too warm just take it off for a night. A cover will also have the added benefit of reducing the outgassing of Co2 which raises your pH. Ultimately you will want to bring your TA right down over time to between 50-70.

How sure are you on your CYA readings and with your additions what do you expect your CYA levels to be? How does the water look? If you do have a CYA level of 100 (it could actually be higher) then you will need to maintain a higher FC level (you may need to try maintaining around 10FC). Your FC readings is currently too low for this CYA.

With air getting into your plumbing it could be that the pump filter lid needs some lube on the O ring to seal it- that would be what I would address first.

If the SWG is happily running making chlorine then all should be good. Leave the pH at 7.6 it is fine there.

Most of here are big fans of the robotic cleaners- they are so much less hassle and worth the extra dollars. This also frees up your skimmer to do its thing.

Hope this helps to get you started but feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

Thanks for the response Jezza. My CYA and FC levels are looking spot on now. Just had to ramp up the SWG. Should I look into adding borate? (vinyl pool & hot weather)

I sealed all the gaskets and O-rings with DoustGrease from Bunnings which did the job and prevented the system draining, thanks for that.

I'll look into a pool cover, but can you run the suction pool cleaner with it installed, or just the skimmer box?

My pool collects an awful lot of long thin leaves everyday (300mm long x 30mm wide), would a robotic cleaner be able to handle this?

Thanks.

Good stuff Nidstang. I think the warmer weather coming up should see you getting a good work out on the pool from here on.

Glad to hear the lube eliminated the air in the pump problem.

Borates are an optional extra- personally I've never felt the need to use them. What are trying to achieve by using them? There is a link here with all the specific information Borates-Why-and-How

Robots are pretty good at picking up debris big and small- mine has no problems with larger debris. You should be fine to run the suction cleaner under the cover if that's what you want to do, although the cover can interfere with the freedom with which the hose can move around. This will obviously hamper the ability of the cleaner to work its way to all areas of the whole pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.