recs for energy efficient pumps

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Hi
we're considering replacing our pool pump if the possible energy savings would make it worthwhile. Our current setup is:
17K gallon rectangular in-ground concrete pool that was resurfaced with fiberglass by a previous owner. One skimmer and one return, functioning status of main drain unknown.
Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump

PoolCleanerMom said:
Hi
we're considering replacing our pool pump if the possible energy savings would make it worthwhile. Our current setup is:
17K gallon rectangular in-ground concrete pool that was resurfaced with fiberglass by a previous owner. One skimmer and one return, functioning status of main drain unknown.
Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
Well, I know some of the right questions to ask....

WhisperFlo #11512 WFE-3 115/208-230V 11.2/6.0/5.6 Amps 3/4 HP 1.67 SF << Does this describe your current pump?
If correct, it can be used to compare specs with other pumps. Here is the performance curve diagram for the WFE-3 pump (reference the 'F' curve)

What size pipe diameter for skimmer and return lines (1.5" 2")?
Does the main drain have a separate PVC run back to the pad or is it connected to skimmer?
Why do you suspect it's not functioning?
What's the pressure reading (PSI) at your sand filter when it's clean?
Do you know current flow GPM?
Do you have solar panels? Heater? Spa? Waterfall?
What type of cleaner? (suction side or vacuum? pressure side? booster pump for cleaner?)
Do you want to consider a two-speed or variable speed pump (less expensive to operate but higher initial cost)? A new pump will cost $500-1600, excluding labor; the return on your investment will depend on your pool configuration, the relative efficiency of the pump replacement and any energy rebate or tax credit that applies.

The WFE-3 is pretty efficient to start with but a 2 speed or variable speed pump would be better. It depends on how much money you have to spend and how short the payback period you are looking for. Several options:

1) Replace existing motor on pump with a 2 speed: Equipment Cost: ~$300, Energy Savings ~%50 on low speed
2) Replace entire pump with a 2 speed: Equipment Cost: ~$500, Energy Savings ~%50 on low speed
3) Replace entire pump with a variable speed: Equipment Cost: ~$1000, Energy Savings ~%60-%80 (depending on speed settings)

The true cost savings tends to be a bit less than I showed because the pump is not always run at the lowest speed. This is especially true with a variable speed since the highest cost saving settings have the lowest flow rates so the skimmers and cleaners won't work as well which means you may have to run at higher speeds at least part of the day for effective cleaning.

Being in a high electric rate region as you are, the variable speeds tend to pay for themselves in only a few years and the 2 speeds in less than a year. But over the life of the pump, the variable speed will save you the most money overall.

My intelliflo vs pump has been in service for 30 months, maintaining a 26k IG pool. I estimate the pump and swg uses between 2-8 kwh/day depending on the season, how dirty the filter is, and how much I run the cleaner and water feature. I run it year round turning over between 12k and 21k gpd.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.