From_Arizona

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Termites....that dreaded word always sends shivers down my spine even though we live in a very active termite area. I have made every precaution, the diret was treated before the foundation was poured, we retreted before adding the front courtyard concrete and driveway that abuts to the house. Our home was completed last September, the termite control company already had to retreat the garage once during construction after tubes were visible.

Hope upon hope that all would be fine after that! Not so....I heard those words from my DH. "Hey honey, come look at this...isn't this what you described as termite tubes and I should keep an eye out for??" ARGH there those little @#$%^ were, climbing up the wall in my half bath behind the toilet. They are extremely active - they incresed the tube length 2" overnight! The termite treatment company will be out on Tuesday...oh goody. So now I am to just watch and knock the tube back if they make further progress. Of course last night I swore I heard them munching away :wink:

Aren't they something?

I make sure I pay my $68/year annual renewal fee for termite inspection/retreats.

It often makes me wonder why they still use wooden sticks to build homes, here. But, then again, they seem to love the glue between the drywall finish paper, equally well.

When we lived in Knoxville, TN I decided to start composting my yard wastes, and bought a plastic compost bin. Well, being the lazy sort of fellow that I am, I decided i'd put it beside the garage door so I could carry out kitchen scraps and add them to the composter as well without having to walk across the yard to do so. One day I'm out turning the pile, and notice all of these little white bugs that were coming up from the bottom of the pile. Got a couple in my hand, walked over to my neighbor, and asked him what he thought they were. He glanced over, and said "those are termites". Hmmmm..termites...I'd drawn them with a compost bin to RIGHT BESIDE MY HOUSE!!!! :shock: Needless to say, the compost bin and compost was moved that day, and the ground where it was at probably still isn't able to grow anything from all of the insecticide I dumped on it.

Now, move ahead a couple of years to the house we have now here in Middle Tennessee. Out working in the yard w/ DW, when she asks me to come look at all of these bugs on this tree. I go look, and lo and behold, it's a termite swarm. We actually found two swarms that day in the yard, from two different areas. We immediately called a pest control svc, and now have the Sentricon system around the house, and, after finding some initial activity, haven't had any termite activity found since *knock on wood*. Oh yeah, I have a compost bin at this house too...at the far back corner of the yard.. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.