Alternatives for Hayward Ecostar 3400 vsp

Dec 16, 2013
Cypress TX
Currently have the 3400 vsp setup that came with my pool. No water features, only the spa, 25k SWG pool.

I've already had a scare with the "drive error" message which fixed itself and also multiple fuses blown on the SWG. Now the motor is whining and my guess it's ready to fail.

Instead of just replacing the motor (450), I figured I'd look into some alternatives since it's only a matter of time before something else in the drive train fails.

I don't really care if the automation is plug and play since the junk handheld remote also had the battery fail which is not replaceable.

I've looked at some Proline VSP pump trains (2.7hp is current rating) around 1k with smartphone control.
Also looked at something similar with 1.65hp for 600.

Biggest concern is the 2x2.5" connections on the existing housing vs 2" found on almost everything else. I assume the 2.5" connection is on the pump housing correct? If so, I can always use a reducer on the discharge.

really don't want to spend another $900 only for it to break in 2.5yrs.

I'm looking for any experience or suggestions.

Thanks again,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.