Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
We are about two weeks out from closing on our next home that has the pool described in my sig line. I have been busy, busy, busy reading all about pool maintenance, etc. in preparation of being a pool owner. After some contemplation, I think we will be getting a robot cleaner. Anyway, we will not be closing the pool, so was curious if anyone runs their robots when the season is over. I imagine there is degraded performance temperature and a do not use temperature but was curious as to the opinion of the forum users. There will be some debris from some trees, but I imagine once the leaves have fallen, that will be reduced. What are you thoughts/opinions?

he,

Not sure what my manual says, but I have three robots that I have been using all year long. Two of them are really old Dolphins that I bought used about 6 years ago and the one at my house is a newer style that is over 4 years old. I can't tell any difference in performance winter or summer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

he,

Not sure what my manual says, but I have three robots that I have been using all year long. Two of them are really old Dolphins that I bought used about 6 years ago and the one at my house is a newer style that is over 4 years old. I can't tell any difference in performance winter or summer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, it's 51 degrees right now in Bedford and 26 degrees in Oklahoma City, so applying a Bedford standard to Oklahoma may not be the best advice.

I use mine a couple times over the winter to clean up the worms/bugs/occasional leaf that finds it way under the winter cover. The cold water doesn't seem to bother it. I normally run a cycle or two and then remove immediately, rinse off and put back in storage. Also apply an chlorine/muratic acid if needed to balance out as the robot can circulate. I have not yet done the whole "break the ice" and slide the robot in. That might a little extreme! Just try and clean as good I can before deep winter sets in.

Well, it's 51 degrees right now in Bedford and 26 degrees in Oklahoma City, so applying a Bedford standard to Oklahoma may not be the best advice.

For the S300, at least, the manual recommends use in water between 43 and 93 degrees (and storage in ambient temperature no lower than 41 degrees). I can see that using it in cold temps might lend itself to removing it in potentially freezing temps with some water inside - which could then freeze, if not promptly placed in a warm location.

My Dolphin E10 manual says not to use it if the water is below 40 degrees.
Water is currently around 45 so I used it last weekend.

My understanding of what happens below 40 is that the lubrication in the moving
parts has a difficulty doing it's job well at that temp and thus pre-mature wear
can occur.

I don't use mine if the water is below 40 F

All sounds good, thanks so much. We close on the house tomorrow and are supposed to take possession on Friday...and of course there is a good chance for an ice/winter storm Friday and Saturday. Needless to say, I am somewhat concerned what may happen with the pool while we don't have possession, especially since the seller will most likely not be able to get out by Friday. I really wish we had the seller winterize the pool as a condition of the sale. Oh well, not too much we can do now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.