Intermatic T104

There is only one 240 volt breaker. It's 50 amps, so that might be a heat pump or hot tub?

The subpanel was probably installed by the old homeowner with no permit.

The pumps don't look like they are properly bonded. I don't see any bond wires.

I would recommend that you get an electrician to check everything because there are multiple unsafe conditions.

You have two pumps on your pool pad. A black pump and a blue pump. How are each of them powered?

Is this panel on an outbuilding, not physically connected to the main house? If so, and if it was installed longer than I think 10 years ago, the 3-wire feed and bonded neutral/ground would have been code compliant at the time and still legal. If more recent, current code would have 4 big wires coming from the main panel and the neutral/ground separated (and if it's a subpanel in the same building the code back then would have too).

Which specific handle cut the power to the pump -- the 2nd from the left that has a red wire coming from it (the leftmost double breaker, the right handle of that breaker)? And which handle cuts power to the other red wire -- I'm guessing the rightmost handle of the rightmost double breaker just from the wire color shade?

That's definitely wrong for a 240V setup, as both of the red wires come from the same leg of the incoming feed (and even if they weren't, 240V breaker handles must be tied together). Properly supplying 240V would require a tandem breaker like this (just an example, need one that's listed for the specific panel): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-2-20-Amp-Single-Pole-1-20-Amp-2-Pole-Quad-Tandem-Circuit-Breaker-HOMT2020220CP/100186179. The middle two handles and terminals would supply the pump, and the outer two would be independent 120V circuits so there'd still be enough circuits.

However, changing breakers like this is beyond my DIY comfort level especially for a pool area, and doing so legally might require permits and worst case whatever's needed to get a 4th wire from the main panel if has to be updated to new code. An electrician would be a must to do anything further there.

Since it does appear to be a 20 Amp circuit with 12 gauge wire, the simplest answer is to just get the T101 timer as you mentioned and make the whole pump setup 120V. From the wiring diagram at https://www.intermatic.com/-/media/inRiver/10162-9164.ashx/T101-Instructions-EN, you'd wire it as such:

Ground: Same as current timer
Terminal A (neutral): Connected to the silver and white wires (neutral coming in, and neutral going to the pump). You can put both wires under the same screw.
Terminal 1 (line): Connected to one of the inbound red wires that's connected to the current timer. Cap the other inbound red wire with a wire nut, and turn off/mark the corresponding breaker in the panel.
Terminal 2 (load): Connected to the blue wire going to the pump

Editing to add -- I agree with others that having an electrician that has worked with pools come take a look would be a wise and safe thing to do.

There is only one 240 volt breaker. It's 50 amps, so that might be a heat pump or hot tub?

Not that I think it matters but that 240V breaker looks to be 60 amps, not 50 amps.

2018-12-05_1257.jpg

I

That's definitely wrong for a 240V setup, as both of the red wires come from the same leg of the incoming feed (and even if they weren't, 240V breaker handles must be tied together). Properly supplying 240V would require a tandem breaker like this (just an example, need one that's listed for the specific panel): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-2-20-Amp-Single-Pole-1-20-Amp-2-Pole-Quad-Tandem-Circuit-Breaker-HOMT2020220CP/100186179. The middle two handles and terminals would supply the pump, and the outer two would be independent 120V circuits so there'd still be enough circuits.

However, changing breakers like this is beyond my DIY comfort level especially for a pool area, and doing so legally might require permits and worst case whatever's needed to get a 4th wire from the main panel if has to be updated to new code. An electrician would be a must to do anything further there.

I didn't know about that type of quad CB. I hang out here to learn things like this.

The OP already has 140 amps of breakers in that panel. I would want to know what the feed breaker and wiring to that panel is. Putting a quad in that raises the capacity of the panel to 160 Amps would not be wise until all the loads and the feed capacity is known. It is likely that most of those 20 amp circuits don't carry anywhere near 20 amps. Another reason to get an electricians review of that setup.

Just to emphasize, you really need to get this checked by an electrician.

I don't think that anything is grounded or bonded, which makes it very dangerous.

I suspect that the previous homeowner probably did a lot of work on the house with no permits or professional help.

I suspect that you are going to find a lot of unpermitted work that was not done correctly and it's going to cause you a lot of problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pool was done without a permit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.