Not closing for winter... just want to keep it stable

Jcvader99

Bronze Supporter
Feb 8, 2018
Charleston SC
Charleston SC... doesn't get terribly cold here (usually 50 degrees or higher, occasionally 30 or 40 but not sustained).

First year with the new pool. Not planning to close it. Just want to ensure I am doing the right things to keep it stable over winter.

Currently:
FC: 8.0
CC: 0.0
PH: 7.8
TA: 70
CH: 300
CYA: 70
Salt: 3300
Temp: 59 F
CSI: -0.39

- My system has freeze-prevent set around 38 degrees
- I figure I will do liquid chlorine when temp is below 55, do I just turn the SWG off for the whole winter?
- I plan to get CH up to 350, it was below 200 when the builder handed it over to me.
- I could put a pint of acid in every other day to get the Ph down, but it always settles back to 7.8... any need to push that?
- FC could be lower, but SWG is only running at 8% already... Not sure if I should try too hard to get that down to 5-6ppm??
- Polaris 380 pressure vacuum runs daily for a couple hours... skimmers get all the surface stuff. Do I need to "not" use the polaris below 50 degrees?

Any issues/concerns or things I need to be aware of, or plan for over the next few months?

Thanks to all!

If the pH will stay at 7.8, leave it. No need to lower it. When it hits 8, add some acid.

FC as you have it is fine. Will not hurt a thing.

If you can independently turn off the SWCG when the water cools, do it.

I do not think the pressure side vacs are harmed by cold water - but I do not have one so another forum member may have better information.

Best plan is to test pH and FC a couple times a week. If you get sufficient rain to over flow, watch your CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.