Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Zeroing in on a new home, and this post will focus on hopefully getting some input on how to upgrade equipment to build in:
a) Automation and automation systems
b) Pumps, heater, SWCG, motorized valves, lighting
c) misc input on surface/tile/deck

Home 1 has a pending offer, and we hope it works out. Home has a brand new PENTAIR MASTERTEMP 300 heater. I’d therefore like to build an automation system around that heater. Am I therefore married to Pentair’s Easytouch? If this happens, I will certainly add a VS pump, the manufacturer of, depending on recommendation on automation system. A SWCG probably will be a decision pending if I get Automation with a kit with the SWCG. The pool pad currently is powered with a standard AquaDyne Mini-Electro-pak panel with single speed pumps. All is in good shape. Unlike my present home, the valves are right at pad, so adding motorized valves will be so simple.

This house, and all in this particular planned neighborhood have 1996 Pebble Tec pools with no pool-line tile. I don’t like it, but after 22 years it’s in good shape, but could use a acid wash or sand blast.

If anyone sees anything in this picture worth noting, I’d appreciate it. I’m not sure what the black coupling is coming into the spa jet pump (on left).
6445ad2cd6b0b4534c24b3ba6c14ffd1.jpg

kd,

I would assume the black thing on the output of the pump on the left is a check valve to prevent some water feature from draining back into the pool.

Heaters are almost always controllable by any automation system, so you are not stuck with Pentair.

That said, I have three Pentair automation systems that have been running perfectly for an average of about 5 years. If one of them died today, I would have a new one on my porch tomorrow.

My current systems include the EasyTouch automation, with built in SWCG power supply, IntelliFlo pumps, IC40 IntelliChlor salt cell, and ScreenLogic remote control. The EasyTouch can do anything that you want for set up that you have. Here is a basic system assuming you do NOT have a spa... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520593

Another option would be the new IntelliCenter. Here is a good thread.. Pentair IntelliCenter You might want to scroll to the last couple of pages..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

Do you have your Easytouch panel wired direct with a Cat5 networking/internet cable?

So the modern heaters, are they able to be controlled by a wider variety of automation systems using some sort of low voltage wiring like a 2-3-4 wire control or something along those lines?

KD,

The EasyTouch and IntelliTouch do not use cat5 cable for anything.. to be able to control them with your phone, tablet or PC, you need an add on called ScreenLogic2. ScreenLogic can communicate with the EasyTouch or IntelliTouch with either a simple 4 wire cable or by a wireless link. Basically, ScreenLogic connects to your home network, and just allows you to use a device to control the automation the same way you would using the automation's front panel. It does make using the automation about 10 x easier and 10 x more fun..

Here is a link to ScreenLogic... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-screenlogic-interface-and-wireless-522104

The new IntelliCenter has a "ScreenLogic like" program already built into the system. It can communicate with your home network via a cat 5 network cable or by built-in WiFi.

There is really no need to control a heater other by than using the 2 or 3 wire system. Some Pentair heaters can "talk" to the automation over the RS-485 communications port, but it appears to me that causes more issue than it solves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have pentair easytouch with a VS pump. I use Autelis automation controller that is basically a tiny third party remote control web appliance for the easytouch/inteliitouch. This can stand alone as a web remote or can integrate into customizable home automation systems.

I have pentair easytouch with a VS pump. I use Autelis automation controller that is basically a tiny third party remote control web appliance for the easytouch/inteliitouch. This can stand alone as a web remote or can integrate into customizable home automation systems.

This is all great news, and eye opening. I really was under the impression that I was married to a specific brand. Also to know about third party controls/accessories is great to know too.

Well, I may be posting another home in the near future as it looks like we didn’t get this house.
I created this post to guide me on automation upgrades to existing pools. We have come across homes with automation, but they’re always out of our budget range. Out here there was housing booms in mid ‘90s, early 2000’s, and only now some new construction and a smattering of spec homes. Riverside county was #2 worst area hit by the Great Recession, and it really devastated the area where nearly every house in the entry price range went thru foreclosure and the abandonment for months/years really affected the lifespan of the pool and pool equipment. It’s still emotional to see. The automation systems I’ve seen are from early-mid 2000s, with barely functioning remotes and they don’t allow control of VS pumps. It’s so cool to have: open a phone app, hit a button on my way home from work, and arrive to a hot bubbling spa. #heaven ;)

You will find no shortage of automation opinions out there. I’ve been tinkering since about 2012. I have a Mac mini dedicated running Indigo Pro software that is the central brains/controller integrating various protocols/hardware like: Insteon, Honeywell alarm, Honeywell thermostats, pentair easytouch (via autelis), ubiquiti cameras, echo dot, Sonos speakers, oregon scientific weather controllers. No single protocol does everything well but software like indigo or the isy99 device allow you to tie a lot of these hardwares together and let them talk. This is super customizable and cheaper than commercial systems but requires tinkering to get things working on your terms. Believe it or not it’s pretty stable once get kinks worked out.

Integration example: I have my easytouch panel running the filter/Polaris 5-9pm everyday programmed at the panel. At 3pm my automation controller runs a script that turns on the Polaris/filter early if there has been rainfall at my house that day (rainfall usually means wind and more leaves in the pool).

Another: midnight swim? “Alexa, turn on the pool.” Command to turn on pool filter for two hours.

Another: script reads my easytouch panel info every 10min (via autelis appliance) and texts me if there are errors like pump problem, low salt etc

Etc etc etc. sky is the limit but lots of tinkering to get there.

Etc etc etc. sky is the limit but lots of tinkering to get there.
I love to tinker! Gets me in trouble. I’ve read about Raspberry Pi systems controlling a variety of basic controls and every Black Friday I get amazed at New smart home Wifi systems where 2 years ago it required a hub. My wife got irritated with the idea of spending on this until I mentioned how she’ll never attempt to use our spa with the level of difficulty and lack of relaxation stressing about having to walk barefoot in cold and pebbles in feet to turn everything back when done—if it increases use of the facilities it’s worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.