Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Global warming/cooling

1. Back To Top    #1

Global warming/cooling

Split off of Cold Weather in SE Texas. JasonLion

I live in Denton and have my freeze protection set to activate at 27 degrees. Even that is probably overkill. But after 3 winters I'm yet to come across any ice. I did notice a sluggish filter guage one particular cold morning. I suppose the bourdon tube could rupture if it ever froze completely. I do run a VS pump daily, around 8 hrs in the winter. Thus every morning water does start moving. So if ice were starting to form in the pipes, it's melted by the 40+ degree water. It is a salt pool and maybe that helps. I also exempted the water feature circuit from being activated so that the remote valve doesn't stroke every 15 minutes when freeze protection is being activated. I was concerned that water could freeze in that loop, but it's open-ended and the ground never freezes here, so any ice that forms should have an expansion path. No issues yet. If I had a fixed speed pump that ran less or not daily I'd probably go a different route. Based on what I've observed I don't think I'd ever use a freeze protection circuit if I lived further south. Unless global cooling continues...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cold Weather in SE Texas

... you mean Global Warming, I think. And if that continues at current pace and some of the predicted regional droughts continue, Freeze Protection won't be foremost in our minds, it will be getting the permits that will allow us to continue operating a pool. I can see south-eastern, southwest and west coast governments at some point outlawing pools or making them so expensive by levying taxes on excess water use that only the rich and decadent could afford to operate one. This won't be an issue in northern locations unless the droughts extend there as well, and it stops raining in summer.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I don't mean global warming. Read up on how the data was "obtained" for the infamous hockey stick graph Gore, the IPCC and every other self-proclaimed climate expert entity relies on to "prove" global warming. Not to mention the gross inconsistencies of the computer model results. I'm not drinking the kool aid on this one. Empirical data I will believe. Political data, no way.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tmoss
    No, I don't mean global warming. Read up on how the data was "obtained" for the infamous hockey stick graph Gore, the IPCC and every other self-proclaimed climate expert entity relies on to "prove" global warming. Not to mention the gross inconsistencies of the computer model results. I'm not drinking the kool aid on this one. Empirical data I will believe. Political data, no way.
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Please don't mistake my somewhat wild conjecture that droughts will lead to the abandonment of swimming pools for insider information. Nor can I offer an informed argument on the veracity of global warming. It has many adherents in the scientific community but it could turn out to be the phrenology of our age.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tmoss
    It is a salt pool and maybe that helps.
    Not really. The low levels of salt in a pool (even a salt pool) get you less than one degree of drop in the freezing point. "Bridge freezes before road" go the signs where I grew up, it's the exposed piping that's most at risk.

Not wishing to step into the global-warming thing too much, but while I have not researched the collected temperature data, both the Arctic ice and the Snows of Kilimanjaro have completely disappeared for the first time. That's hard to square with global cooling.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Arctic ice has not completely disappeared. I work on the Arctic coast for a living. Plenty of ice and polar bears. Is there less ice at the end of the summer than 30 years ago, yes. As for a mountain top in Africa, yes there's less snow. And glaciers are retreating all over the planet. Where is the empirical data proving it's anthropogenic? Where is the empirical data showing this has never happened before? Why did they change the name from global warming to climate change? And where is there an accurate computer model proving the apparent cooling taking place right now? "They" weren't predicting this 2 years ago, yet we're supposed to believe "their" models looking out for the next 50-100 years? Uh-huh. I'm looking at snow on the ground for the second time this year outside of Dallas. It was 19 degrees at my house this morning. I'm done now. Going make a snowman with my kids. Merry Christmas!

7. Back To Top    #7

The terminology change from "global warming" to "climate change" seems to have come about largely because people would see statements like "3 degrees average global warming" and misinterpret that as "3 degrees uniform warming on each square foot of the globe." Then of course they see snow in their backyards for the first time in 20 years and think "global warming what a crock it's really global cooling." So the terminology change is an attempt to explain what's going on in ways that people will understand better; I don't know why you think it's evidence that the whole thing is a crock.

I don't know about "proof" it's anthropogenic but can you prove it's NOT anthropogenic? I hear evidence of correlation between temp and CO2 over time, post-Industrial Revolution; correlation is not causation but is still cause for concern. But, taking that as an undecidable point for the moment, the question becomes: What are the consequences of being wrong? Failing to make changes to correct an anthropogenic change is a moral failure with a variety of very real human costs. Making those changes in the non-anthropogenic case also bears a real cost, but many of those changes are things we'd need to do anyway because relying on finite consumables for energy sources is long-run stupid, and in the case of oil in particular not so long-run as we are at or (according to some) past "peak oil" already.
    --paulr
    who is thinking this should move to Coffee Bar or be dropped entirely as not very pool-related
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster

8. Back To Top    #8

Paul,
    You Might want to re-read my earlier response. How the evidence is collected to prove the earth is warming is questionable at best. Just because it has snowed 3 times in one year here in DFW is NOT why I'm not drinking the kool aid. Gross assumption on your part. And to repeat, the computer models aren't yielding the results to explain the cooling taking place. And yes, peak oil has happened. 85-90 mmbopd is what the NOC's and integrated oil's can deliver. Once global demand starts to challenge that, price will skyrocket, relative to the continuing devaluation of the dollar. I can agree on this: Americans "should" be aware of the truth about energy creation and use it wisely. Our reliance on foreign oil is a major issue. The solution to that is quite complicated. But, Gov't is not allowed by the constitution to tax me because I choose to use carbon based energy or tell me incandescent bulbs are not good for the planet. Let pure science and the Free Market decide that one. I'm yet to see the people who are telling me how to live actually live that lifestyle. Such hypocrisy. How can one square "that" moral behavior? I tend to trust people who exhibit integrity. When I start to see that as the prevailing behavior in Washington, then I might give what they demand from us as "change we can believe in" as the best course of action for my family, the country and the planet.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have re-read your earlier posts. You agree that various ice fields are shrinking (I accept that "completely disappeared" is an overstatement). You question the validity of temperature data behind global warming. You assert global cooling "is taking place." Fine. However, failing to believe in global warming is not the same as believing in global cooling. The only thing in your posts that seems to support global cooling is the snow in your backyard. If you wanted me to think you have other reasons for believing in global cooling then perhaps you should have said what those reasons are.

While I may view it as a moral issue as outlined previously, that doesn't mean other people do, and the morals of people in government are irrelevant to how I perceive the issue. I am not a spokesman for the global-warming contingent and I am not parroting arguments they make; I am telling you what I think.
    --paulr

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Global warming/cooling

This topic has been locked because it is off topic and unlikely to go anywhere. Please try to stick with swimming pool/spa related discussions. Thanks JasonLion
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School