Water cloudy and eating chlrine

First post. New pool in 3/18, 21,000 gallons and SWG. I bought the Taylor K-2005 test kit and everything went really well for the first 5 months. After that I got lazy and used the pool store to test my water. After a couple problems here and there our pool recently got cloudy and I noticed something was eating the chlorine. Their advice was to put a product in the filter to help clear it out and that sounded off to me. I realized they performed a poor test and told me to add CYA weeks prior making it over 100 tested a few days ago.

So since then I have drained and refilled, poured 2.4 gallons of liquid chlorine shock in and now chlorine is still being eaten up and I think I just need to maintain the shock level for a few days.

The pool is heated to about 82 and it is thermal blanket covered most of the time aside from when we swim laps.

Chlorine - 2-4
pH - 7.2 This is strange, I have not added acid since last week and it always climbs to an 8.0 quickly.
CYA - 70
Alk - 100
Calc - 225
Salt - 2,400-2,600

Pump and chlorinator have been running 24/7. About to go clean the filter.

I am guessing I should add another 2.4 gallons of liquid chlorine this after noon and measure chlorine again before bed. Is there something I am missing?

Pool when it was clear

8siK5Dlh.jpg

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

You need a FAS/DPD Chlorine CC's test to test your FC and CC.

When you receive that kit, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I suspect you need to SLAM Process.

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

You need a FAS/DPD Chlorine CC's test to test your FC and CC.

When you receive that kit, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. I suspect you need to SLAM Process.

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

I will update my signature shortly after I get my exact part numbers.

Before having the FAS/DPD test kit is there any use to adding liquid chlorine for now? Can it help keep the pool from going completely cloudy for now?

Maintain what you are doing. Your K2005 can test FC to 5 ppm I believe. Keep the color match as dark yellow as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.