Clear Water Pump for Winter Emergency

gmike09

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
Hello. Being in Georgia I don't feel it is really necessary to close down my pool being that if it does go below freezing, it doesn't last very long. I do have a freeze protection guard on my pool pump for those one off days and a tarp over the pool. A power outage during an extremely cold few days would be a major issue. I was thinking in case of this scenario, to run a clear water pump with a portable generator until power is restored. What I have in mind is to hook up my current plumbing into a clear water pump with the filter in recirculate mode. I currently have a 1.5 hp pump. Assuming I go this route I don't believe I would need a 1.5 hp pump, but something much smaller. Has anyone tried what I am trying to do? If so, what size pump did you use?

Thanks!

I think you are on the right track in trying to make sure the water keeps moving through the pipes but you also have to think about current pump. The water needs to move through it also. My thought is to find a electrician to fix the gennie up so it will run your equipment like it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.