AAA Treatment

spiazza

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Which sequester would be recommended for an AA treatment. I currently own Jack's Purple Stuff (since I have an SWG). Is this the right product or is Jack's Pink/Blue a better product for this application?

Are their cheaper alternative sequester agent products on the market that are just as effective? If so, any recommendations?

Any sequestrant based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives is fine. That includes all of the colors of Jack's products you mentioned. I would go with Jack's Purple Stuff. The other colors will work just fine, but when focusing on sequestering metals in an SWG pool, the Purple Stuff should be slightly more effective.

Jack's Magic products, and ProTeam Metal Magic, are very well thought of but are not by any means the least expensive. Prices vary dramatically, so look around, read the ingredients, and try different things out. You can almost always find an off brand product that works very well and is much less expensive.

One good approach to long term care of a pool with ongoing problems with metals is to start out with a well known name brand product and then, once you have some experience with it, try some of the off brands to see which ones work as well in your situation.

(I wrote this as Jason was posting so some duplicate info here).

Jack's Purple Stuff, Pink Stuff and Blue Stuff all contain 1-Hydroxyethylidene-1,1-diphosphonic Acid (HEDP) in a proprietary formulation. HEDP is the preferred more effective metal sequestrant compared to the other common alternative EDTA. The Pink Stuff is denser than the other two and the natural color is that of the Pink Stuff which is pink or straw colored (the blue and purple stuff have a dye that gives them color). The Purple Stuff is what you would normally use in an SWG pool since it works well at higher salt levels, though the specific proprietary chemicals that presumably make this happen are not disclosed. As to whether this is truly better than The Pink Stuff or any other HEDP metal sequestrant of equivalent concentration is an open question.

BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus is 36% HEDP. As shown here, the dosage is one quart per 10,000 gallons and this costs around $21. Compare that with Jack's Pink Stuff which has the same initial dose and costs around $16 (The Purple Stuff is around $17 so not that much more) available from poolgeek.com and poolcenter.com. So Jack's does seem to be the better deal at reasonable cost. ProTeam Metal Magic is about the same price as Jack's at poolgeek.com.

Hi..Don't mean to butt in but just trying to learn :) ....I know a little about all the different 'Jacks' products..and they seem to be good... But with a SWG and say I am using the BBB method,,would i still need to use any of them..my numbers are good... GREAT SITE :wink:

Odds are if you don't have metals in your fill water, then you probably don't have them in your pool. Unless your water comes from a well, it probably isn't high in metals. You can ask your local water district for the iron and copper content of your water.

The other way you can get iron or copper in your pool is from metal corrosion, but that usually takes poor water chemistry maintenance, especially low pH, such as having Trichlor pucks close to stainless steel or pouring acid into the skimmer on a regular basis, etc.

The metal tests are expensive (copper, iron, or both) so if you want to know the levels in your pool you can go to your pool store to get this tested (and cross your fingers that they do the test correctly).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.