Pool for a few days usage

Brad44

Nov 15, 2018
Arizona
Good Day Experts,

I need some advice on getting a new intex type pool. Traveling in December. The climate is hot, dry and the only power is solar. A large generator is also available if needed. I need a pool that can fit 6 - 8 people. The pool is only required for one week - it will be stored indefinitely thereafter. It will be used for several hours a day, probably every day for the week, weather permitting.

Based on my rudimentary calculations the solar power won't be able to run the pool pump - it's a very basic setup. The generator will be available but that can only be used a few hours a day at most. My questions are as follows:

1) Will I be able to use the pool for a week without the pump/filter? If not what is the minimum time I would need to run the pump to maintain water quality?
2) The pool will be filled with underground water - is this ok? The water is slightly brackish but safe to drink. No idea what the mineral composition is though.
3) I will obviously buy some form of testing kit and purification chemicals. Considering the pool will only be used for a week how important is it to treat the water and what would be the best way to maintain water quality. It doesn't have to remain crystal clear as long as it's usable. Cost is irrelevant.
4) I'm considering the intex/coleman options in the 10 foot range. Will this be adequate for 6 - 8 adults. The pictures online seem very misleading. The pools always look really big even though the sizes are completely different.

Thanks for your time.

Lay out a 10' circle with rope or a hose. See if you think that size will work. Me? Nope. It will be very crowded.

Keeping the water good. You can bring some liquid gold stabilizer (cya) to help the keep some FC (Free chlorine) in there. You can add the FC each morning and walk around in the pool to mix it in. You can use PLAIN bleach (no pretty smells and such).

If you make sure everyone rinses their feet off and it is not placed right under some trees you should be good with keeping it clean.

Lay out a 10' circle with rope or a hose. See if you think that size will work. Me? Nope. It will be very crowded.

Keeping the water good. You can bring some liquid gold stabilizer (cya) to help the keep some FC (Free chlorine) in there. You can add the FC each morning and walk around in the pool to mix it in. You can use PLAIN bleach (no pretty smells and such).

If you make sure everyone rinses their feet off and it is not placed right under some trees you should be good with keeping it clean.
Thank you so much for all your advice. Had a feeling the 10' would be too small. I guess it's best to go to the store and see them with my own eyes.

If I only had to cover a week, I wouldn't even bother with filter or pump. CYA and bleach, as Kim suggested, broadcast the bleach evenly around the perimeter, then just brush it in for a few minutes. Or walk around it with a boat paddle. Or just use a sump pump if you don't want to do the stirring. Kim, what do you think? 30 minutes? 60 minutes with a sump pump? Place the pump on one side of the pool, and the exit hose on the other side. They're about $50.

That would be the easy way for sure! When we had not power from the storm we would get in the pool (33' round above ground) and the two of us would walk around the wall of the pool for several laps. Once we had a good current going I would pour the chlorine in and make a couple more laps. Seemed to mix it up good.

Oh and another good thing about having the sump pump would we when you are ready to drain the pool. It would make quick work of it so that is two reasons for the small pump.

Kim:kim:

12' x 30" should be fine enough, get the easy set with no walls.

Get a pool brush and maybe a net, oto test kit for pH and simple FC testing.

I would add 20-30 ppm of cya and get one gallon of bleach, that should do you each year, you could add 10-20 cya and use pucks but I think one jug of cya will last a long time.

Use the brush on the floor each day to circulate FC around and test oto, use the temp pool guide.

Take your fill water and put some in a bucket and add some bleach, see if it turns brown or green. Report back this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.