Help! low and high sppeds reversed on spa pump

cmane

Jan 1, 2010
I just installed a new spa pack in my indoor spa. I am running a 120v system with one two-speed pump and no other accessories. Upon firing up the new system for the first time I realized that the pump speeds are reversed in order when I press the pump button on the spa-side controls...when I push it once the high speed pump comes on, twice turns on low speed, three turns off pump. It should be 1=low 2=high 3=off according to the spa pack manual.

This would not be that big of a deal however my heater only turns on when the pump is running at high speed and will not turn on when it is in low speed. Since I am running a 120v system it should be reversed, the heater should only run with the pump in low speed to prevent overload.

I have checked the low level programming and all of the jumpers appear to be in the right position for my configuration. Please advise, thank you.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Power down and pull the pump out and reverse the hot leads.

Scott

Thanks for this sugggestion, Just to clarify...

The pump was not replaced and worked correctly with last spa pack, when I connected the pump to the new spa pack I had to remove the old plug and install the plug that is compatible for my new pack. There are 4 seperate wires running from the pump to the spa pack...green, red, white, and black. I just connected the wires to their matching colors.

You are suggesting that I reverse the red and white lines? Thanks again

If the spa pack is turning on the heat on what it thinks is low but is actually high, then yes. Swap the hot leads. The common leads may need swapping also if the spa pack is capable of 240 operation. Without seeing the schematic, I can't be certain.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
If the spa pack is turning on the heat on what it thinks is low but is actually high, then yes. Swap the hot leads. The common leads may need swapping also if the spa pack is capable of 240 operation. Without seeing the schematic, I can't be certain.

Scott

I am assuming green=ground, black=current, and the other two (white and red) are neutral. I am planning on swapping by connecting white to red and red to white and leaving black connected to black, green to green, if this is not correct and I turn on my system what will happen (theoretically)? Am I at risk of frying the system? Thank you for being patient with me, I clearly do not know much about electricity.

Yes, that would be one of the risks. You could A) get it right B) Fry the pump C) Fry the spa pack or D) Fry yourself.

Let's shoot for option A. It's the least painful. :party:

Using a voltage tester or multimeter is the best way to KNOW what is hot or common and the motor diagram on the pump motor will tell you what colors are what with respect to the pump.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Yes, that would be one of the risks. You could A) get it right B) Fry the pump C) Fry the motor or D) Fry yourself.

Let's shoot for option A. It's the least painful. :party:

Using a voltage tester or multimeter is the best way to KNOW what is hot or common and the motor diagram on the pump motor will tell you what colors are what with respect to the pump.

Scott

Thank you! So...after doing some more research I learned that it is common for red and black=current white=common and green=ground. I switched the red and black lines and ended up with option A YAY! :cheers:

One more question...since I have reconnected the pump it sounds a bit "high pitched" when running in high speed. I am thinking that this may be some leftover air in the pump/lines, any thoughts?

Also do yoyu have a spa related store? What type of business is yours? Where exactly are you located? I live in Somerset, NJ.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.