Where to find Anode in Pool Heater (Heat Pump)

wpb

Jul 20, 2009
I've searched and searched on Google, because this seems like an overly simple question ... But I just can't find any information on where the sacrificial anode is normally located in a pool heat pump.

The company that makes my heat-pump is out of business, and while browsing the manual recently due to an unrelated issue, I happened to notice that it claims the anode should be checked annually (unfortunately it's been 5 years and I've never known about this) -- and yet they never mention where the anode is located!

This unit looks like the standard/generic heat pump (former brand: Fafco); I was hoping there might be a fairly consistent location where this anode is located in most heat pumps, or some idea of what it looks like / what I should be searching for?

Thank you in advance!

Most replaceable anode rods in water devices are attached to a pipe plug. It's most likely attached to the drain plug. At least normally it is. Lacking more experienced comments I'd pull the drain plug and see if it's there.

Ahh... After reading your suggestions, it hit me... The anode has to be somewhere in the heat exchanger/water-path, which is very small and makes this a fairly simple task!

Now I understand why this isn't a more popular question!

In my case, there appears to be a drain lug in the bottom right corner of the heat-exchanger (not sure if I'm using the proper terminology here). That drain lug has a wire running off of it.

According to these replies, it appears that drain lug must have the anode attached.

Now the next question... It's far inside the unit, is there any trick to getting at these things inside heat pumps?! And if it turns out it's badly worn (and at 5 years, I'm assuming it will be), are there several different variations where I have to get some specifics in order to buy a new one?

Thanks again for the help!

Every anode rod I have ever seen is attached to the nut that you screw in. When you unscrew the nut the rod follows; in other words, it is one piece that you remove and replace. I've never seen one where you have to unscrew the nut and then "fish" for the rod itself.

simicrintz said:
Every anode rod I have ever seen is attached to the nut that you screw in. When you unscrew the nut the rod follows; in other words, it is one piece that you remove and replace. I've never seen one where you have to unscrew the nut and then "fish" for the rod itself.

Unless the chemistry was so bad that the rod rotted off :lol:

waste said:
simicrintz said:

Unless the chemistry was so bad that the rod rotted off :lol:

Now that is true, Ted! I've never seen it, but I have heard of it happening :shock: It is never a good thing to have a rotted off rod :oops:

So it sounds like they're fairly standard and I won't have to get any specs.

Where does one buy a new anode; would Gorman (pool distributor) have something like this, or is it something carried by the local retail shops?

Thanks again!

I would bet most pool shops wouldn't know what one is!

They are also very common in hot water tanks and RV water heaters. If the nut size matches (and there is clearance) you should be able to pick one up at Home Depot, Lowes or even Camping World or the like, if your pool place doesn't have one. Just make a note to check it every couple of years so you won't have another rotted rod (don't know why that sounds so funny to me).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.