Running Pump Through A Freeze - Texas

AggieBQ95

Bronze Supporter
Apr 7, 2018
Cypress, TX
Hello all -

So this is our first winter with our new AGP. Here in Texas, we tend to have very mild winters - many times not even reaching freezing temps until Jan-Feb. However, they are projecting that Tomorrow and Wednesday, we will dip down to below freezing for about 7-10 hours each night. My plan was to just run the pool through the nights on both of these nights as I don't really want to "close" the pool. Does anyone have any experience with this? If I keep the pump running on low 24/7, I should be ok, right? My sandfilter/pump is hard plumed, but I did not put any covering around the PVC. As long as the water continues to move through it, I think I should be fine, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience. It's only expected to get down to 26 degrees F, and only that cold for a couple hours. Thanks in advance for all your input.

Here is a great thread that should help you make it through our upcoming "winter" with your new pool. In short, with the forecast low temps later this week estimated to dip just a couple of degrees below freezing at nights in the Houston area, there should be little to worry about so far.

The Physics of Freezing and Freeze Protection

Hey aggie, for reference just so you know you should be okay, this was last year with pump running ………..

dbtgallery.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.