First time pool owner, how to winterize?

pbr

Nov 12, 2018
auburn, ME
Moved from here

I also have a question of winterizing. Don't know how do winterizing. I have a coleman pool, I just moved and the water has already frozen. It was a at a good level, but then we got a lot of rain. it is just at the top hose and covers the bottom. I don't know what they are called. The hoses are plastic.
Should I cover the pool, we are supposed to get more rain. And, if so, how it it best to cover it.
Should I try and break the ice and see if I can undo the hose?

Last edited by a moderator:
pbr, welcome! :wave: This late in November, I suspect you are in "pool closing frenzy" mode. Cover? Perhaps. But more than anything right now it's all about pool and equipment protection - specifically from freezing. Please check out our Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool. After you've had a chance to review those instruction, make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info and let us know if you have more specific questions. Members here will do what they can to help.

"if using a cover" I don't need one? What are the benefits and drawbacks? I am thinking maybe the amount of PPT will be a factor. If the pool fills with water/snow to the lowest hose level, that would not be good.

I didn't do any of the water treatments, one disadvantage to buying a new house with a pool in November. Oh well. I guess opening the pool with be an adventure.

Pam

There are pros and cons. Depends on the purpose to which you need a cover and which type is used. Some use solid or vinyl covers to keep debris and water out. Others go with mesh or other similar products that focus on debris (leaves, acorns, etc). When exposed, no doubt snow/rain will accumulate. Your biggest issue right now is ensuring the equipment (i.e., pump) is removed and stored somewhere safe where it won't freeze and rupture. You do need to update your signature with your equipment so we can help you with other issues. Your filter for example should be drained as well. If it's a combo system, drained and stored. Depending on the hole heights, you might just disconnect those in & out plastic hoses (lines) so that any excess water will just flow out. Some may simply plug them. If you have am aftermarket thru-wall skimmer, that would need to be protected. Closing this late with the water cold, algae won't be growing. But you still should use a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to confirm your water chemistry. Please update your sig and let us know if you have any other questions to ensure your pool makes it through the winter okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.