which dolphin

orthopod

Gold Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
Braselton, Ga
I emailed marina oools, and want to here everyones opinion. Looking to buy a Dolphin, and here are my pool concerns.

Our pool has a zero entry that drops into steps into the main pool. I want the robot to clean up on the zero entry (18 inches to zero) without getting stuck.

We have 4 bar stools. There is no room between the stools and pool wall, we have cleaning jets. So the robot wont get stuck.

Deep end to 8 feet.

Strange free form shape.

Looking for remote control, ability to backout, reduced tangles.

Looking at the M500.

I read a thread where there was a newer robot with a better programming algorithm than the M500, but I cant find it.

here is our build:
New Pool Build North East Atlanta - Page 3

I have the S series, which is a newer model. The S300, which is the one I have, does an excellent job. It can be programmed to clean bottom only or bottom, walls and waterline. I have a 18” deep shelf and bench in my pool. It does not reliably clean the shelf. I just give the shelf a quick brush each time I start the robot. I’m not sure how it would handle the zero entry, you don’t want it wandering out of the pool.

All the new S series has a swivel cord to prevent tangling. The S300 has Bluetooth remote control, albeit functionaly limited. For full function remote you have to go to the S300i. A quick search will give you several TFP threads with extensive discussion of the capabilities, price information, and sources.

A Breakdown of Dolphin's 2017 Lineup

Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

The S200 is $699 shipped most of the time from Marina Pools and Spa. I'm building now and have researched here for months. That's the best deal I could find and ordered mine yesterday.

My S200 does a better job of brushing the bottom and walls than I do. I still have to brush the bench and sun shelf.

I so want one of these (I think the S300i, but not sure yet). These robots are so cool.

I asked for one for Christmas and my wifey laughed and said "that she would drown me in that cement pond in the back yard if I spent another dime on it this year" (woop's I'm almost out of acid). :D
I informed her that it was a "PebbleTec" pond. :swim::swim:

Guess I'll be waiting till next year and will just have to be happy for now with "Rita", my trusty ole Hayward Aquanaut...

There are only two preset selections on the S300. A standard two hour program that cleans the floor, walls and waterline, or a short one hour program that cleans the floor only.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello Chiefwej,

Can your S300 be programed to scrub waterline only without you pushing the remote and watching the action by the pool when it cleans the waterline tiles?

Thank you so much!

I don't even know how a robot like the S300 (or any robot) could do waterline-only. It moves in a seemingly-haphazard way through its program and climbs a wall when it reaches it and then moves laterally for a brief moment as it scrubs, only to move back down the wall and continue its program. There's no robot that can remain at the waterline and move laterally around the perimeter of the pool. All robots will cross the floor repeatedly before climbing. It's just a navigational impossibility.

The 2020 models with "iO" technology appear to have some actual GPS-type navigation. That may be the path to such a specific cleaning program but only time will tell.

The 2020 models with "iO" technology appear to have some actual GPS-type navigation.

Very much doubt that GPS signals would be used as they don't penetrate through water too well.

I did find this paragraph which points to the fact that they 'simulate' GPS navigation rather than be actually equipped with it.

"Powered by Maytronics’ revolutionary Opteq (TM) technology, the iO knows its exact location in the pool and can navigate to any point in the pool as if it has an underwater GPS system. This enables it to automatically determine the most efficient way to clean each pool in accordance with the pool shape, structure, obstacles and requested cleaning mode. It defines the scanning path and time required to cover all surfaces and can provide tangible proof of complete coverage of the entire pool surface, including floor, walls, and waterline. End-users can fully control the cleaner from anywhere via a mobile app, including setting it to navigate to any point in the pool, clean only certain parts of the pool, go to a pre-defined location at the end of the cleaning operation, or climb to the waterline at a pre-defined precise location."

Reactions: xdiep23
Very much doubt that GPS signals would be used as they don't penetrate through water too well.

I did find this paragraph which points to the fact that they 'simulate' GPS navigation rather than be actually equipped with it.

"Powered by Maytronics’ revolutionary Opteq (TM) technology, the iO knows its exact location in the pool and can navigate to any point in the pool as if it has an underwater GPS system. This enables it to automatically determine the most efficient way to clean each pool in accordance with the pool shape, structure, obstacles and requested cleaning mode. It defines the scanning path and time required to cover all surfaces and can provide tangible proof of complete coverage of the entire pool surface, including floor, walls, and waterline. End-users can fully control the cleaner from anywhere via a mobile app, including setting it to navigate to any point in the pool, clean only certain parts of the pool, go to a pre-defined location at the end of the cleaning operation, or climb to the waterline at a pre-defined precise location."

ergo "GPS-type"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.