Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: which dolphin

1. Back To Top    #1

which dolphin

I emailed marina oools, and want to here everyones opinion. Looking to buy a Dolphin, and here are my pool concerns.

Our pool has a zero entry that drops into steps into the main pool. I want the robot to clean up on the zero entry (18 inches to zero) without getting stuck.

We have 4 bar stools. There is no room between the stools and pool wall, we have cleaning jets. So the robot wont get stuck.

Deep end to 8 feet.

Strange free form shape.

Looking for remote control, ability to backout, reduced tangles.

Looking at the M500.

I read a thread where there was a newer robot with a better programming algorithm than the M500, but I cant find it.

here is our build:
    New Pool Build North East Atlanta - Page 3

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: which dolphin

I have the S series, which is a newer model. The S300, which is the one I have, does an excellent job. It can be programmed to clean bottom only or bottom, walls and waterline. I have a 18” deep shelf and bench in my pool. It does not reliably clean the shelf. I just give the shelf a quick brush each time I start the robot. I’m not sure how it would handle the zero entry, you don’t want it wandering out of the pool.

All the new S series has a swivel cord to prevent tangling. The S300 has Bluetooth remote control, albeit functionaly limited. For full function remote you have to go to the S300i. A quick search will give you several TFP threads with extensive discussion of the capabilities, price information, and sources.

A Breakdown of Dolphin's 2017 Lineup

Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

3. Back To Top    #3

Any special deals on pool cleaners for this week?
    Pricing out 34x17 w/ 7x7 raise spa (inner dimmensions), will finalize quote and get going asap.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can a dolphin eliminate the need for manual brushing?

5. Back To Top    #5

The S200 is $699 shipped most of the time from Marina Pools and Spa. I'm building now and have researched here for months. That's the best deal I could find and ordered mine yesterday.
    18x36 rectangle, vinyl over steps, 8x8 tanning ledge with bubblers, pool depth 3.5 - 7; Hayward Aqua Plus w T15, Hayward multi cartridge filter c3030, Hayward Superpump VSP SP2603

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BonnerBB View Post
    Can a dolphin eliminate the need for manual brushing?
    I haven't brushed since I purchased my s300i
    Patrick, 21K gal, IG Plaster, Pentair IF Variable Speed Pump, 45QT DE Filter, 2003 Build, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir, Dolphin S300i, Water Features

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

My S200 does a better job of brushing the bottom and walls than I do. I still have to brush the bench and sun shelf.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

8. Back To Top    #8

I so want one of these (I think the S300i, but not sure yet). These robots are so cool.

I asked for one for Christmas and my wifey laughed and said "that she would drown me in that cement pond in the back yard if I spent another dime on it this year" (woop's I'm almost out of acid).
    I informed her that it was a "PebbleTec" pond.

Guess I'll be waiting till next year and will just have to be happy for now with "Rita", my trusty ole Hayward Aquanaut...
    20,500G PebbleTec® Play/Lap Pool & Spa (Salt/Borate/Soft H2O). Pentair IntelliCenter Automation, IntelliFlo VSF, IntelliChlor IC-60, IntellipH, 6 IntelliValves, Triton II TR-100C Sand Filter (1/2 Zeobest) w/Glycerin Filled PG, MiniMax 100 Spa Heater, Jandy MAX HP Spa Jet Pump, J&J Color Splash XG 120v LED, Hayward AquaNaut 400 In-wall Suction Cleaner, SP Auto-fill Leveler, TF-100/K1766/pH Meter/Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello Chiefwej,

Can your S300 be programed to scrub waterline only without you pushing the remote and watching the action by the pool when it cleans the waterline tiles?

Thank you so much!
    CL free Pool, 12kGal, Pebble Sheen finish, Pentair Sand Filter with recycled glass media, Former Polaris 9450Sport cleaner owner

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

There are only two preset selections on the S300. A standard two hour program that cleans the floor, walls and waterline, or a short one hour program that cleans the floor only.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by drew1240 View Post
    Hello Chiefwej,

Can your S300 be programed to scrub waterline only without you pushing the remote and watching the action by the pool when it cleans the waterline tiles?

Thank you so much!
    I don't even know how a robot like the S300 (or any robot) could do waterline-only. It moves in a seemingly-haphazard way through its program and climbs a wall when it reaches it and then moves laterally for a brief moment as it scrubs, only to move back down the wall and continue its program. There's no robot that can remain at the waterline and move laterally around the perimeter of the pool. All robots will cross the floor repeatedly before climbing. It's just a navigational impossibility.

The 2020 models with "iO" technology appear to have some actual GPS-type navigation. That may be the path to such a specific cleaning program but only time will tell.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    The 2020 models with "iO" technology appear to have some actual GPS-type navigation.
    Very much doubt that GPS signals would be used as they don't penetrate through water too well.

I did find this paragraph which points to the fact that they 'simulate' GPS navigation rather than be actually equipped with it.

"Powered by Maytronics’ revolutionary Opteq (TM) technology, the iO knows its exact location in the pool and can navigate to any point in the pool as if it has an underwater GPS system. This enables it to automatically determine the most efficient way to clean each pool in accordance with the pool shape, structure, obstacles and requested cleaning mode. It defines the scanning path and time required to cover all surfaces and can provide tangible proof of complete coverage of the entire pool surface, including floor, walls, and waterline. End-users can fully control the cleaner from anywhere via a mobile app, including setting it to navigate to any point in the pool, clean only certain parts of the pool, go to a pre-defined location at the end of the cleaning operation, or climb to the waterline at a pre-defined precise location."

~36K Litres | FG 8 x 4.4m | Astral Viron P320XT 1.5HP VS Pump | Astral Equilibrium 45 SWG | CA400 Sand Filter | Dolphin M500 | Solar Heating | Clear Choice Labs Test Kit | Pool Build Thread
    POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

13. Back To Top    #13

When does Maytronics release their new line up? Is it a major product release, like at a show?
    31'x22' Freeform play pool, 12,941 Gal, IG Gunite w/stonescape, Pentair Intelliflo Var pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Pentair Easy Touch Screenlogic, SWG IC40, TF-100 test kit, Dolphine M400

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Costas > DownUnder View Post
    Very much doubt that GPS signals would be used as they don't penetrate through water too well.

I did find this paragraph which points to the fact that they 'simulate' GPS navigation rather than be actually equipped with it.

"Powered by Maytronics’ revolutionary Opteq (TM) technology, the iO knows its exact location in the pool and can navigate to any point in the pool as if it has an underwater GPS system. This enables it to automatically determine the most efficient way to clean each pool in accordance with the pool shape, structure, obstacles and requested cleaning mode. It defines the scanning path and time required to cover all surfaces and can provide tangible proof of complete coverage of the entire pool surface, including floor, walls, and waterline. End-users can fully control the cleaner from anywhere via a mobile app, including setting it to navigate to any point in the pool, clean only certain parts of the pool, go to a pre-defined location at the end of the cleaning operation, or climb to the waterline at a pre-defined precise location."

ergo "GPS-type"
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner