Ahh-Some for unlined wood tub?

FritzM

Aug 14, 2018
Oakland, CA
Hi all,

I’m a relatively new owner, but have learned a lot from reading the forum here, and have had good success so far using the methods described here.

I have an unlined, wood (AK yellow cedar) soaking tub. No air jets, just high and low speed circulation from a Pentair two-speed pump. I’ve gotten past the initial heavy tannin-leaching phase, and have been running stably with pH 7.4, TA 90, CH 140, CYA 30, BOR 40, 104F. The tub came with a Cu/Ag ionizer; I run with about 0.5 ppm Cu to keep algae down, and find given all these conditions my CYA-stabilized FC hovers low around 0.2 ppm without bather load (good to avoid pulping the wood). I dose with bleach after each use, and very occasionally boost oxidize as well with some MPS I have on hand e.g. after a party. With the unlined tub, the name of the game is achieving all the necessary sanitization and oxidation with as low a sustained FC as is workable, in order to prolong the life of the wood. And so far so good — with careful attention, I have enjoyed consistently clean, clear water, and no bather health issues.

From what I have read here, it would seem prudent to try and stay on top of any biofilm issues, especially since I am running such a low equilibrium FC. Ahh-Some seems to be the product to use at a water change, but can it be used without aerating jets in an unlined wood tub? From what I’ve seen of the product and how it is used I’d be concerned that without aerating jets the loosened scum would not float to the top in a foam, and also wonder about being able to clean the scum from exposed wood rather than just wipe it off a smooth acrylic surface. Has anybody else here with an unlined wood tub tried this?

I am wondering if I could perhaps improvise some sort of stocking filters on my returns to capture and contain the scum. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!
—FritzM.

I am not sure but do suggest your call the makers of ahhh-some. They are very open to answering questions.

I would LOVE to see this soaking tub! That sounds like it would look so neat. It must be huge to hold 700 gals!

@kimkats: It’s effectively a big barrel, six foot diameter, four foot deep, with a circular bench all around. When seated you are submerged to just below your shoulders. Since all the equipment is external and doesn’t displace any water, the water volume adds up!

HimFritzM: The Ahhsome will not alter your wood laminate or color. My only concern is that you MUST wipe any of the sticky gunk you may get from the return jet line and what may also be adhering to the wood surface. Use half the recommended dose at first. Drain and rinse the tub within 30 minutes. Our product has been used in wood tubs for many years. The thing you have to do is to make sure that any gunk that is released is rinsed soon after you drain the tub. I would recommend that you add a little extra mps just before or after adding the gel. Please keep the forum posted. Consumers wanting to get the best deal on the Ahhsome should go to Tftestkits.net. They have a new supply and ship immediately.

Thanks for the info!

My suctions are on the bottom of the tub and returns are near the bottom, so I could conceivably run the purge with the tub maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full, which would result in less surface to scrub? Seems like the usual soft bristle brush, hose with nozzle, and wet/dry shop vac would probably suffice to clean up any gunk.

It will probably be a few weeks before I get to my next water change. I'll certainly post follow-up results here to the forum.

Thanks for the info!

My suctions are on the bottom of the tub and returns are near the bottom, so I could conceivably run the purge with the tub maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full, which would result in less surface to scrub? Seems like the usual soft bristle brush, hose with nozzle, and wet/dry shop vac would probably suffice to clean up any gunk.

It will probably be a few weeks before I get to my next water change. I'll certainly post follow-up results here to the forum.

Just wipe the wood wood with a towel or soft cloth. Keep the tub full so,we get all the bacteria that may be harboring inside all the wood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.