Polaris 280 floats when not running

I've had a 280 for many years, just bought a brand new one, it operates fine when it's pump is running but when sweep pump stops & main pump is still running the sweeper floats to the top & the tail faces straight up & shoots water, sometimes out of the pool. My last 2 280's seemed to stay on the bottom when not sweeping?

Post a pic of your 280 that floats. I think you are misding some parts like the tail weight rings.

What is this leak in your hose circled in red?

20181111_143216.jpg

Did you read the links I gave you in post #4?

If the 280 is anything like the 380, there is a heavy weight inside the unit just behind the water management assembly. It could have been omitted during assembly. You may also have air getting into the pressure side (eg from a suction side leak) that is collecting in the 280 body that may cause it to float when no downward cleaner jets are on.

If the 280 is anything like the 380, there is a heavy weight inside the unit just behind the water management assembly. It could have been omitted during assembly. You may also have air getting into the pressure side (eg from a suction side leak) that is collecting in the 280 body that may cause it to float when no downward cleaner jets are on.
So how would air get in if its submerged, how would u check this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It works fine when the sweep pump is running, it only floats when sweep pump is off and main pump is running

Main pump has an air leak that is putting air into the cleaner hose and body and makes it into a ballon. You likely would not notice main pump air leak as otherwise air just comes out of returns and you may not see many bubbles.

Sweep pump purges air, replaces air with water, and it functions normally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.