Update on my 3 legged dog - NOW WITH A BOBBED TAIL

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Hi guys - Happy New Year! :cheers:

I can't get the video link to cross for me so I have to cross to my thread from PF :oops: here.

The link is background for what I'll add here.

My 3- legged dog had to go in today and have a couple 'lumpectomies' and the one in her tail was so severe that the vets took ~80% of her tail :shock: :cry: . This poor dog had been abused to the point that, just before we rescued her, she had to have one of her front legs amputated :evil: ... and now she looses most of her tail :rant:

Life just hasn't been overly kind to Maggie :cry: However, she's a real trooper and will be able to be here to advise me on pool questions (minus a leg and most of her tail) :lol:

Thanks for listening :goodjob:

Sounds like she is getting a wonderful life with you! Good care and folks who love her! And tails are overrated anyhow! We had a cocker spaniel growing up, and then a couple Yorkies (as well as some pups with tails). Now we have a Boxer/Bulldog mix, but she was a rescue and her tail was not docked, so she is always whipping me!

My parent's neighbors have a 3-legged dog named Minus! The wife is a vet and 'rescued' Minus after amputating his (her?) leg.

Happy New Year!

What a great story Ted!
Not everyone would do what you have done for their pet! Personally would I walk around the world for my little cat, barefoot!!!!!. Hi is very much up there at my list on things in life I treassure the most.
I'm sure your Molly will have it better without tail with you on her side, than with a full sized tail together with random masters!

I would love to see a pic of Molly, the link didn't work for me!

Happy new year Ted!!!

That's awesome Ted, and I wholeheartedly concur with your PF post. If you're getting a dog, please check your local shelters. A great resource to do it from a distance is Petfinder.
We found our dog through petfinder in a shelter 45 minutes from our house. When we got her she wouldn't walk. She crawled on all fours and was deathly afraid of anything above her head. Now (3 years later) she knows most basic agility commands and spends most of her time doing this smile/laugh/snort thing that she's learned. It has been HIGHLY rewarding.
Congratulations on your family's new best friend!
Here's a shot of ours:
[attachment=0:2qywg720]Bean.JPG[/attachment:2qywg720]

Attachments

• Bean.JPG
    Bean.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 256
Oh Ted! What a truely heartbreaking story she came to you with!

You've got such a BIG heart! I bet she fills every foot of it! :mrgreen:

I hope all goes well for her. She is such a sweet heart!

And may I add you will love her nubbin! My Boy had a nubbin and Ava has one and OMG! I love me a nubbin especially when the whole back end gets into a wiggle! :mrgreen:

Oh, sweet Maggie :angel:

It is a wonderful thing that Maggie has you and your sweet wife and also that you two have Maggie :-D

We wish a "get well soon" to Maggie! Give her a hug & kiss for us.

p.s. Our Bubba, 12 YO yorkie, wants to send a Milk Bone treat to Maggie. :-D
Would you please PM your address?

um, Please tell Maggie that Bubba's tail is bobbed, too! :p

Grace, Mats, Tim, Casey and Joyce,

Thank You!! for your responses :bowdown:

(Trust y'all made it to 2010 with nothing worse than a headache :cool: - Mats, how'd the pyrotechnic show go?)

Maggie is doing well and can even manage the 3 front steps now, though we have to carry her up and down the big staircase to the second floor and lift her on and off our bed. She goes on the 12th to get her stitches and staples removed.

I'll try to get some pics up when my wife gives me back my camera :roll:

Thanks again and we hope you have a wonderful 2010!! :party:

Hi Ted!
The fireworks was a succes this year and the party we went to was better than ever. A new couple came and lifted it up to a higher level :party:

Good to hear that Molly is doing great despite the circumstances she's going through. looking forward to some pic when you get your camera back! Tell your wife to give it back to you :cool:.

And over to my compulsory off topic rubbish :sleep:
A new year Ted! new things that has to be done and new expectaions that hopefully gonna be fulfilled. Only thing that's important is family and friends and stay in touch with them, everything else is secondary. I have taken up contact with a friend I found over the net, that I have neglected for a long time. I've sent him a bottle of Lagavulin for christmas and he sent me an email back! So now we are back on track again and I really looking forward to meet him for the first time this summer. He is the person that have helped me with the construction of the reinforcement of my pool. He is a retired constructor that have worked with concrete constructions all his life. From all of our correspondance we have had he seems like a lovely person. He invited me and my family to his house and then I suddenly stopped answering his mail. My dad got sick just at that time so it might has something to do with it. But I have come to the conclusion that it has has more to do with that it's easier to stay back and don't risk to get dissapointed if he doesen't turn out the way you have him planned. And that have bugged me for a few month's now. So I'm really glad that I have get down to it once and for all. Things like that is really important to do, otherwise it tear on you without you knowing it yourself. Ted I'm so wise that I'm surprised myself :hammer:

Since this after all is a poolforum I will comment on the pool staus aswell!
Can't belive that I'm gonna be able to use the pool within 4-5 months from now. It's so cold here at the moment that it's almost impossible to get anything done. And the forecast doesen't say anything about change in the weather, more the opposite. No reason to get upset though about things you can't decide over. So I will start this morning with a walk(it's important to get the essential D-vitamins from the sun during the winter). After that I will continue to watch the 6,5hour dvd war and peace(leo tolstoj).

I wish you Ted and your wife and of course Molly the best start of the new year that's possible.

And this was the last off topic post from me in a very long time! So mods! No need to get upset :)

Take care
//Mats

Angel points to you for rescuing Maggie and sharing your lives with her!

How is she doing today? It might take a little while for her to learn to get along without her tail since she likely used it to balance herself after the leg amputation and now has to re-learn how to do that.

Most of our dogs have been rescues. Their stories, as far as they're known, are horrific. I used to spend a lot of time thinking about what I'd like to see happen to the people who did those terrible things to these dogs but now I realize that the best revenge is living well.

Our rescue dogs, and yours, now live without fear. They survived the horrors which were their previous lives. They learned to trust, they overcame the emotional and physical damage done to them, they are now allowed to be real dogs: loving and giving companions to real people – while their abusers continue to rot in the slimy morass of their stunted psyches. Their judgment will come, one way or another.

Hugs to Maggie and all the others like her, and blessings to all who adopt a shelter dog.

What a wonderful way to start out another new year, with news of another "throw away dog" who is now a "beloved furkid" with a forever home!

We adopted too, six years ago now. He was actually dead dog walking when Janie got there to snatch him from the pound. And we're so glad she did, because he's been such a joy to our entire family. He has his agressive issues, but we deal with it and force him to let us love him no matter what! He was apparently injured in his ribs/hips at some point while on the streets, because it hurts him if we don't pick him up just right. Once his hair grew back (had to be completely shaved due to his matted condition), he was just adorable!

My parents adopt too. Their 2nd one, unfortunately, was snatched by a coyote. They cried over that for months - so did we. So they still had their 1st one and the 3rd one. But, sadly, a few weeks ago, Dad had to put precious Pete down because the seizures had become too severe and he was so old that it just wasn't right to force him to keep living via medication. But he blessed us all so much in the several years they had him - it was PETE who taught my sister's adopted toddler not to be afraid of "dogs" (she had a real fear of them). She could use him for her pillow, and they napped that way more than once!

There are so many furkids waiting to be adopted and given forever homes. Hopefully more and more people will catch on, instead of supporting puppy mills (unknowingly).

So to Ted and everyone else on here who have such a love for God's creatures, thank you for caring and sharing! BTW, there's a thread on here that one of the moderators started last year where you can post pics of your furkids!

HAPPY 2010 EVERYONE!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.