Salt type?

I wouldn't use either one, really. The pellets are too big, IMO, and take too long to dissolve.
I would absolutely not use the red out. I checked the MSDS for the product and it contains citric acid as well as a metal sequesterant that's a phosphate derivative. Both of these have their uses to control metals in pools, but they should be used in the proper way and amounts. Salt added for salt water chlorine generation should be free from any additives. Just use plain old sodium chloride with no additives.

You do not want rust inhibiter or iron fighter. Salt with those "features" contain an additive that will cause stains. Pellets are not preferred, as they take longer to dissolve, but they will work. If using pellets you will probably want to do a little extra brushing just to make sure they completely dissolve.

mpaul1 said:
ARe there really any benefits of using Dead Sea or Himalayan salt over Mortons/pure water softener salt? Is this just marketing hype as it costs 31x as much! Thansk!
Welcome to the forum :-D

I think the only benefit would be impressing your friends... "Hey, this isn't just any salt, you know... It's imported!" :cool:

See pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Lets make this clear.

99.5% or purer Sodium Chloride with no additives.. It doesn't matter if its gems, granular or rocks. Granular is the fastest to dissolve, The others require more brushing. All Sodium Chloride salt, regardless of whether it is in a Morton's, Diamond Crystal, or generic is salt. Some come in 40 lb bags, some in 50, some in 80, ahh, you get the point.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.