Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt type?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt type?

I found a great deal on Red-Out. Can Diamond Crystal® Red·Out® Pellets with Iron Fighter® Formula be used in place of Diamond Crystal Solar Salt? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt type?

I wouldn't use either one, really. The pellets are too big, IMO, and take too long to dissolve.
    I would absolutely not use the red out. I checked the MSDS for the product and it contains citric acid as well as a metal sequesterant that's a phosphate derivative. Both of these have their uses to control metals in pools, but they should be used in the proper way and amounts. Salt added for salt water chlorine generation should be free from any additives. Just use plain old sodium chloride with no additives.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

to clarify, the plain solar salt is fine for pool use; it is a large crystal.
    Any water softener salt pellets that are >99.5% pure are ok, too, they just take longer to dissolve. Brushing speeds the process.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

You do not want rust inhibiter or iron fighter. Salt with those "features" contain an additive that will cause stains. Pellets are not preferred, as they take longer to dissolve, but they will work. If using pellets you will probably want to do a little extra brushing just to make sure they completely dissolve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It's actually the anti-cake ingedients in some salt that can cause the staining. The citric acid and sequesterant in the red out wont stain, its just not a good thing to add with the salt.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I typically use Diamond Crystal® Extra Coarse Solar Salt and it seems to disolve pretty easy. What brand of salt does most of you use?

7. Back To Top    #7

Morton pool salt, usually. I get it at Lowes.

8. Back To Top    #8

ARe there really any benefits of using Dead Sea or Himalayan salt over Mortons/pure water softener salt? Is this just marketing hype as it costs 31x as much! Thansk!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mpaul1
    ARe there really any benefits of using Dead Sea or Himalayan salt over Mortons/pure water softener salt? Is this just marketing hype as it costs 31x as much! Thansk!
    Welcome to the forum

I think the only benefit would be impressing your friends... "Hey, this isn't just any salt, you know... It's imported!"

See pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

10. Back To Top    #10

Lets make this clear.

99.5% or purer Sodium Chloride with no additives.. It doesn't matter if its gems, granular or rocks. Granular is the fastest to dissolve, The others require more brushing. All Sodium Chloride salt, regardless of whether it is in a Morton's, Diamond Crystal, or generic is salt. Some come in 40 lb bags, some in 50, some in 80, ahh, you get the point.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.