Muriatic Acid

can you reduce the waterflow to the spa

Not sure about that. My spa dumps into the pool.
017251b13da86ef10f642a7b379e0b00.jpg

Good catch aussieta. First I had heard about a spa with that much aeration spilling back to the pool. I would only run that a couple times a day for 30 minutes or so, just enough to keep the spa water chlorinated.

Back to the CH. I am surprised your CH is that low when your last fill was in Dec 2017. Mine starts at that level. Your fill water CH must be in the low 100's. You should get close to 3 years until your CH reaches too high to manage (~1000 ppm).

Good catch aussieta. First I had heard about a spa with that much aeration spilling back to the pool. I would only run that a couple times a day for 30 minutes or so, just enough to keep the spa water chlorinated.

Back to the CH. I am surprised your CH is that low when your last fill was in Dec 2017. Mine starts at that level. Your fill water CH must be in the low 100's. You should get close to 3 years until your CH reaches too high to manage (~1000 ppm).

Guess it’s been longer than I thought since I checked CH. I’m at 650 now. That probably sounds closer to what you would be thinking.

Sounds more realistic. You may want to consider a water exchange before switching to SWCG, if that is what you do.

I’ve used a Stenner for both Chlorine and Acid and I live in Phoenix. In the desert I found the Stenner to be inadequate for chlorine Management, but exceptional for pH management.

The Stenner IMO works poorly in high chlorine demand areas due to constantly fluctuating need for chlorine (bather load, hotter days) as well as significant chlorine degradation from the tank sitting out in the summer heat. I was constantly fiddling with the dosage.

If your pH is reasonably steady (and it seems like it is), you should easily be able to establish a baseline of daily acid with a Stenner. Mine is locked in and gets changed every few weeks max (shaving a few minutes as the weather cools). Frankly I could let it go even longer but I like to keep the pH locked at 7.5 based on my CSI.

I believe there is no need for a ph probe and that it would only give false confidence. My ph is completely locked at a given value just due to proper calculation of acid/time.

I would recommend getting a Stenner for acid. You could also consider trying for chlorine though I don’t recommended that. I went back to manual dosing and May eventually get a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.