Why convert?

Jul 25, 2018
Andover
Last summer was my first time owning an above ground pool. My friend suggested the soft swim products as it doesnt smell, stain and easy on the skin. My pool was only in use for about 2 months as I installed in late July here in MN. I was very happy with the soft swim products and only ran me about $100.

I've read a few stories about converting to chlorine but confused as to what the most common reason is? Does size of pool matter?

I only tested and added chemicals once a week and water was crystal clear for 2 months. If I convert to salt water it seems I'll need to buy a $100 test kit every year and test/add chemicals every day. During the summer months I'm only home Mon-Thurs. so will I be able to maintain?

MBY, there are a few things that apply to your questions and concerns. I'll start with a few in order to try and help:
- We find many Softswim and/or other Biguanide owners that return to us for a similar reason, it eventually doesn't hold up well. It doesn't really have to do with the size of the pool. The water becomes cloudy, filters begin to clog, and/or they start to have concerns about good sanitation. It may seem like a practical issue for now in your first (short) swimming season, but I suspect that will change if you have the pool for a while. In the meantime, you might want to checkout this page: Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!.

As for "how" you chlorinate a pool, there are basically two common methods - manually by adding a little liquid chlorine each day (aka regular bleach), or installing a salt water generator (SWG) that uses salt to create chlorine (same product) that sanitizes the water and keeps algae away. To understand a bit more about it all, you might review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page for more info.

In your situation as a frequent traveler away from home, up north with a relatively short swimming season compared to some, you would need to evaluate "how" to add that chlorine. If you don't have someone living in the home who can add bleach each day, then you could use chlorine tabs/pucks, but ONLY (and this is very important), only if you have a good test kit to monitor your CYA (stabilizer) level because the free chlorine and CYA need to be balanced together as seen on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Normally we don't recommend frequent use of tabs/pucks because they increase the CYA too high. But for some with a short swimming season, who do a lot of water exchanges, or only use the pucks for 3-4 days along with bleach, they might get through a season without the CYA going too high. If that doesn't work, then an SWG would be ideal. It's a one-time investment to install, add salt to the water (which many like), and the SWG produces the chlorine for you.

As pool owners, we get so caught-up in the enjoyment of having a pool we overlook the fact that a pool is like a pet and needs "some" attention everyday. Well, you might squeak-by checking on your pool every couple days, but you can't go too long. It needs to be brushed, fed (chlorine), and tested. Speaking of the test kit - yes, you do want a good test kit. No one can maintain a pool without one. The TF-100 (link below) and Taylor K-2006C test kits are the ones we recommend. They generally last all season if the water is maintained properly and the kit is stored indoors in a cool place. A good test kit simply comes with owning a pool, so there's no way around it. But testing at home is easy to do.

Now that you appear to have baqua products in your pool, if you do decide to change to chlorine, you'll need to perform a conversion process. You would want to refer to our Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine for step-by-step instructions. So you have a few months to think it over. Do some searching on this forum about baqua products and conversions. You'll see many threads of how and why they did it. Hope that helps.

When i got my pool i started on baquacil as recommended by the installer. i really liked the less frequent attendance required, as you mentioned. worked well for many years. then the white mold/pink slime started. as long you dont mind spending the extra money for chemicals and dont have any problems, then go ahead and stay with baquacil. this forum should be here if you need it. btw, with your size pool, if you decide to change to chlorination, it might be easier to do a drain and refill rather than "convert". good luck

Awesome. Thanks for the testimonias. I plan on buying a swg sometime this winter and depending on my water this spring will either drain or convert. I plan on buying a tf-100 test kit as well. If I take a reading in the spring before adding any chemicals, would I be able to tell if it what will be easier as far as drain/convert? I also plan on buying the speedster and read on another post to buy multiple test tubes to test all at once instead of rinsing after each test? Can anyone link me to the extra tubes? It doesnxt look like they come in the starter kit?

Thanks a lot!

The TF-100 comes with all the tubes you need. Separate ones for chlorine, TA, and CH. No worries there. As for the spring and potential plans to convert, just post back when you're ready. Even if you do exchange a good amount of water to help with the conversion, you'll still follow those instructions to rid the residual water, filter, and plumbing of any baqua goo. Read all the links we've provided you and spend some time on the forum getting used to the principles of water care. This way you'll be better equipped for the conversion. Have a great weekend.

While you are learning about the TFP way you can start looking around in your area for your best source for liquid chlorine or bleach (same thing only lower % of active ingredient). You will need it to do the conversion. Some pool stores sell 11% chlorine where you put a deposit down on the jugs. Some people use store brand bleach from Walmart. Do NOT buy any bleach that has pretty smells, is splashless, or has "chlormax" or fabric protector in it. All of this extra stuff is not good for the pool.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.